Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Indeed, or remove the wheels and seatpost when leaving on landing, will make it unattractive to a thief especially if the frame is D locked to something solid
I think that would just be too match hassle!
Louise

vickster

Legendary Member
I think that would just be too match hassle!
Louise
Less hassle than dealing with a stolen bike!! Will you ride every day or even several times a day?

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't have any. I live in a small, furnished flat and don't own much stuff of my own so I don't bother. Being on the top/2nd floor and behind a security door doesn't make it impregnable but it's unlikely anyone would bother trying to break in.
Louise
So how did the other one get stolen?

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Less hassle than dealing with a stolen bike!! Will you ride every day or even several times a day?
If a bike's stolen then it's gone. There's nothing to be done! I'll be a fair-weather cyclist so up here not that frequently - maybe once every week or two. But I want it to be as quick and easy to get in and out as possible. It's bad enough having to negotiate two flights of stairs.

Louise

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I've seen key operated D-locks (such as the expensive, German Abus Granit being picked in <60s!) so there's clearly no such thing as burglar proof and you just hope what you do is a sufficient deterrent.
If it helps, only a minute proportion of bike thefts involve a lock being picked.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Two thoughts:

1) The less attractive it is/looks, the less likely it is to attract the attentions of a scrote
2) A decent U-bolt from, say, Abus, will probably deter any but a pro

The fact that you're on the second floor, with presumably little passing traffic, probably helps, but in truth if you leave something worth nicking on plain sight in the same place night after night, the chances of its getting nicked are probably fairly high, whatever you do. I'd definitely be thinking ebay, scrappy paintwork and 'not worth nicking'-type security if it was me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit is a beasty lock

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Two thoughts:

1) The less attractive it is/looks, the less likely it is to attract the attentions of a scrote
2) A decent U-bolt from, say, Abus, will probably deter any but a pro

The fact that you're on the second floor, with presumably little passing traffic, probably helps, but in truth if you leave something worth nicking on plain sight in the same place night after night, the chances of its getting nicked are probably fairly high, whatever you do. I'd definitely be thinking ebay, scrappy paintwork and 'not worth nicking'-type security if i was me.
I suspect it was stolen by a delivery guy (I saw him glance over at the bike) but can't prove it. There are only two flats on each floor so only 6 in total. The other flat on my floor is empty most of the time. I doubt anyone from the lower floors ever come up to mine - well, maybe once or twice in the last 11 years, lol. So only someone who came up i.e. a delivery person would see it. It's not as though the stolen bike was high end - just a Pinnacle Cobalt 1 2018 cost about £450 with fitted accessories.

Louise

I'd be fitting a doorbell camera as extra security. And encouraging your neighbours to get them too.
If I had to leave a bike outside I would use a motorbike locked if your railings are sturdy.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've seen them but, again, has to be a reasonable cost relative to the bike value. Maybe £50 for a D-lock and £20ish for a chain lock?

Louise
It doesn’t matter if you don't want your bike nicked. Get the best lock you can, they last a lifetime

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I'd be fitting a doorbell camera as extra security. And encouraging your neighbours to get them too.
If I had to leave a bike outside I would use a motorbike locked if your railings are sturdy.
You mean to my flat door? Not sure that would of much use. I'd have to get permission from the owner which would be a hassle.
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

It doesn’t matter if you don't want your bike nicked. Get the best lock you can, they last a lifetime
At my age that's probably not all that long! I might only be cycling for ~5 years - fingers crossed!
Louise

Top Bottom