Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Have you atchualy got a bike?
Please do read the first post of this thread!
Louise

I was going to go down the folding bike suggestion too but have seen the previous replies. Still think a secondhand Giant Halfway is a good option for a cheap, strong and light folding bike.

However remembering that most thieves are male and often looking for money for drug fixes I would say feminise your bike as much as possible and grunge it up to make it look much lower value. It's like when you are commuting to work, never have the nicest bike in the bike rack get the thieves to choose a different bike than yours. It's nice to have an attractive new looking bike but even nicer to actually have a bike for longer than a few months even if less pretty. Don't clean it too often and when you do just concentrate on the drivetrain. Maybe use a bit of old tea to stain some metal to resemble rust etc. Stick up a fake security camera.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I was going to go down the folding bike suggestion too but have seen the previous replies. Still think a secondhand Giant Halfway is a good option for a cheap, strong and light folding bike.

However remembering that most thieves are male and often looking for money for drug fixes I would say feminise your bike as much as possible and grunge it up to make it look much lower value. It's like when you are commuting to work, never have the nicest bike in the bike rack get the thieves to choose a different bike than yours. It's nice to have an attractive new looking bike but even nicer to actually have a bike for longer than a few months even if less pretty. Don't clean it too often and when you do just concentrate on the drivetrain. Maybe use a bit of old tea to stain some metal to resemble rust etc. Stick up a fake security camera.
Thanks, I see where you're coming from! Well, a Liv is a womens bike :smile: However, I'm not going to let myself get paranoid about it. If I can get it in the kitchen then nobody will see it unless I'm with it or on it. If it has to go on the staircase railings I'll make sure it is well secured. Beyond that, fingers crossed.
Louise

si_c

Guru
Thanks, I see where you're coming from! Well, a Liv is a womens bike :smile: However, I'm not going to let myself get paranoid about it. If I can get it in the kitchen then nobody will see it unless I'm with it or on it. If it has to go on the staircase railings I'll make sure it is well secured. Beyond that, fingers crossed.
Louise
I think that pretty much summarises the previous 8 pages. No point overthinking it any more :laugh:

Top Bottom