Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hope to be getting a new bike soon :smile: My last one was stolen from the 2nd/top floor railings outside my flat (just had a combination chain look which disappeared along with the bike...) so keeping my new one as secure as is reasonably possible is high on my list. I was thinking of getting at least one D-lock plus maybe a chain plus possibly an electronic alarm. Obviously the cost of securing the bike should be in proportion to its value - probably around £430 plus accessories (probably rear rack, mudguards, kick stand, lights, bell, mirror and anything else I can think of!). For indoors the electronic alarm seems a good idea, in principle, because it could be hidden until triggered. I've seen key operated D-locks (such as the expensive, German Abus Granit being picked in <60s!) so there's clearly no such thing as burglar proof and you just hope what you do is a sufficient deterrent. Any suggestions and/or experiences?

Thanks

Louise
A very wide range of suggestions and advice offered here. However, you seem set on your initial view that 2 x d locks plus a bike alarm provide your preferred solution. Fair enough. Just go for it then.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Why, many D locks have a bracket to mount on the frame? You could get a hip lock but they aren't cheap
I meant in order to attach the bike to larger things.
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

A very wide range of suggestions and advice offered here. However, you seem set on your initial view that 2 x d locks plus a bike alarm provide your preferred solution. Fair enough. Just go for it then.
I haven't altogether decided yet. I said before, the cost of locks should really be in proportion to the value of the bike (about £430) vs the risk. I was probably very unlucky having the previous one stolen and definitely naïve with the lock I used. I live and learn! If I can easily get it into the kitchen it could live there without locks so that would be the cheapest solution! I will post on here when I've decided :smile:

Louise

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I meant in order to attach the bike to larger things.
Louise

You don't find 'larger things - you need to find secure places to lock. Chains are only OK in low risk areas and that's with big chains. Good chains cost a fortune and weigh a lot, otherwise a d-lock.

Look at an Abus Bordo as a secondary lock for a wheel - I use a d-lock and an Abus Bordo at work.

fossyant

I haven't altogether decided yet. I said before, the cost of locks should really be in proportion to the value of the bike (about £430) vs the risk. I was probably very unlucky having the previous one stolen and definitely naïve with the lock I used. I live and learn! If I can easily get it into the kitchen it could live there without locks so that would be the cheapest solution! I will post on here when I've decided :smile:

Louise

Lock value aren't always in proportion to the bike. I'd say the most stolen bikes are the cheaper end - £300 to £1k - far easier to sell on, and loads about. So get a decent sold secure "gold" d-lock, and a cable extension for the front wheel as a minimum.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

You don't find 'larger things - you need to find secure places to lock. Chains are only OK in low risk areas and that's with big chains. Good chains cost a fortune and weigh a lot, otherwise a d-lock.

Look at an Abus Bordo as a secondary lock for a wheel - I use a d-lock and an Abus Bordo at work.
I may never leave it anywhere unattended!
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Lock value aren't always in proportion to the bike. I'd say the most stolen bikes are the cheaper end - £300 to £1k - far easier to sell on, and loads about. So get a decent sold secure "gold" d-lock, and a cable extension for the front wheel as a minimum.
Yes, but it's a balance between loss and risk. I may not wish to spend £100+ on locks if I feel the risk is low. So I won't initially spend anything on locks if I can actually park it in my kitchen. The bike will be purely for recreation - I'll likely go somewhere on it then come home again, so it won't be unattended. But there could be other scenarios so I probably would need a lock just in case.
Louise

vickster

Legendary Member
Louise
It sounds like the biggest risk is at your home where you may need to leave unattended in the hallway.

The Bordo is a good shout, has a very neat bracket and is as secure as a cheaper D-lock. I've used to lock up a pretty costly bike in a busy town centre

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

You'd need a massive lock to attach to a tree. In 36 years of 'proper' cycling, I've never used a tree. Small trees are useless, you can cut through them easily.
I'm sure you're right! I'm probably overthinking it!
Louise

fossyant

Louise

You are at home though ! :wacko: - i.e. leaving it unattended.

I don't leave my bikes unattended anywhere, unless at work, then they are still in a secure compound.

Suggestion for the hallway, drop the front wheel off, so you can rotate the bars 90 degrees, so the bike doesn't take up much space. Fitting a wheel takes 30 seconds, especially as you are only using the bike occasionally. Leaving it for a long time in sight, is basically an invitation to steal it.

Lots of advice here from people who have this dilemma every day. Lock it or lose it, use a poor lock, lose it. It's very easy to chop through cheap locks with little or no noise. Angle grinders are noisy. Must say though, my battery angle grinder will chop anything in two in seconds. Most hacksaws will chop a cheap chain very quickly, never mind a small bolt cropper.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

It sounds like the biggest risk is at your home where you may need to leave unattended in the hallway
As I keep saying, I'll try and park it in the kitchen. If that doesn't work then it will have to be the railings.
Louise

fossyant

Since I started using a Bordo at work, many other cyclists use them (or the Aldi copy) as a secondary lock. They are better than a cable or a chain, but not as secure as a good d-lock, but ideal as a secondary lock, and they are quite 'flexible' for fitting around stuff.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

You are at home though ! :wacko: - i.e. leaving it unattended.

I don't leave my bikes unattended anywhere, unless at work, then they are still in a secure compound.

Suggestion for the hallway, drop the front wheel off, so you can rotate the bars 90 degrees, so the bike doesn't take up much space. Fitting a wheel takes 30 seconds, especially as you are only using the bike occasionally. Leaving it for a long time in sight, is basically an invitation to steal it.

Lots of advice here from people who have this dilemma every day. Lock it or lose it, use a poor lock, lose it. It's very easy to chop through cheap locks with little or no noise. Angle grinders are noisy. Must say though, my battery angle grinder will chop anything in two in seconds. Most hacksaws will chop a cheap chain very quickly, never mind a small bolt cropper.
I meant when I'm out! I might try the wheel removal, if it comes to it. Will that be a problem with disk brakes? I've never taken a wheel off a bike in modern times...
Louise

Top Bottom