Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Yes, thinking about it, it was probably undone as the lock disappeared with the bike :sad:
Louise
Seriously you need to buck up.
They will be back for your new bike if it was that easy.
Keep it in the flat or on the stairs at your own peril.
...or just shoot the b*******

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Solves your problem tho.
If you get an air rifle shoot em with bluetac as it really hurts .
If I caught someone in the act they would most likely try to escape but could hurt me whilst doing so. I don't think it's going to happen like that!
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

If the stairs are on fire your f***** anyway so just keep it by the door.
The hazard would be if there was a fire inside the flat and the bike in the hall preventing me getting out. It would also be against the terms of my lease. Strictly, I shouldn't even have it against the railings but it wouldn't be in anyone's way.
Louise

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I was thinking a chain would be more versatile if I had to park it somewhere when I'm out?
Louise
Depends on the sort of stop you might make. If it's just going to be cafe stops you probably just need something lightweight and leave the bike where you can see it. It's a good idea to consider the weight of whatever you're carrying about. And how you'll carry it. Are you planning to have panniers?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was thinking a chain would be more versatile if I had to park it somewhere when I'm out?
Louise

Nope, unless they are sold secure ones - I have a few, and portable they are not. One weighs 10 KG.

D lock and cable for out and about. You could also use these at home, but I'd get an alarmed cable lock too or an alarmed padlock - these are motion sensing, so will beep - I used to use one secured to my bars - if the bike was disturbed, it would beep, second time, it goes off

The hazard would be if there was a fire inside the flat and the bike in the hall preventing me getting out. It would also be against the terms of my lease. Strictly, I shouldn't even have it against the railings but it wouldn't be in anyone's way.
Louise
I mean it's your call - but your hallway would have to be pretty narrow for a bike to prevent you getting past ? If it were me I would have it in there and then I'm not worried about it getting stolen. If your flat is full of candles and fireworks then it might be a different matter but if all is well - it's not like the bike is going to jump out at you ?

You definitely don't look your age - keep it up whatever you're doing.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Depends on the sort of stop you might make. If it's just going to be cafe stops you probably just need something lightweight and leave the bike where you can see it. It's a good idea to consider the weight of whatever you're carrying about. And how you'll carry it. Are you planning to have panniers?
Maybe. I'll mostly be using it off road so a faint possibility I might want to attach it to a tree. Pretty unlikely, I have to admit!
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I mean it's your call - but your hallway would have to be pretty narrow for a bike to prevent you getting past ? If it were me I would have it in there and then I'm not worried about it getting stolen. If your flat is full of candles and fireworks then it might be a different matter but if all is well - it's not like the bike is going to jump out at you ?

You definitely don't look your age - keep it up whatever you're doing.
It is quite narrow with 4/5 doors. There is a wall mounted heater which narrows the width to about 80cm. I'd probably be able to squeeze past but I suspect it would contravene fire regulations. I could easily catch myself on the handlebars/pedals so it would be a hazard in the hall. As I say, I'll try and wheel it into the kitchen when I actually get it. Um, the 'frosted glass' effect image of me hides a lot!
Louise

Top Bottom