Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Loueese

Hope to be getting a new bike soon :smile: My last one was stolen from the 2nd/top floor railings outside my flat (just had a combination chain look which disappeared along with the bike...) so keeping my new one as secure as is reasonably possible is high on my list. I was thinking of getting at least one D-lock plus maybe a chain plus possibly an electronic alarm. Obviously the cost of securing the bike should be in proportion to its value - probably around £430 plus accessories (probably rear rack, mudguards, kick stand, lights, bell, mirror and anything else I can think of!). For indoors the electronic alarm seems a good idea, in principle, because it could be hidden until triggered. I've seen key operated D-locks (such as the expensive, German Abus Granit being picked in <60s!) so there's clearly no such thing as burglar proof and you just hope what you do is a sufficient deterrent. Any suggestions and/or experiences?

Thanks

Louise

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Given that one bike has already gone from there, I would attach one of these to your new bike...! :laugh:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If it's to lock up outside your flat you don't need to worry about the weight of the lock. When I was commuting and leaving the bike at the station I left two D locks on the rack at the station and used those. I'd definitely use more than one lock. The recommendation is to use a small D lock so there's less space for a thief to get a tool in to force or cut it.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

If it's to lock up outside your flat you don't need to worry about the weight of the lock. When I was commuting and leaving the bike at the station I left two D locks on the rack at the station and used those. I'd definitely use more than one lock. The recommendation is to use a small D lock so there's less space for a thief to get a tool in to force or cut it.
I suppose it's the fallout of having the previous bike stolen that makes me feel insecure. It was my first bike in over 20 years and I only had it for a few months :sad:
Louise

In a world where gold standard locks can be beaten we can only try our best to (a) deter theft, (b) know when the bike is being tampered with and (c) trace and retrieve it .

I use a Gold Standard D lock and have bicycle concealed on it. I brought the tracker from mytrackershop.com which sends a alert to y mobile if the bike is moved and allows me to follow its whereabouts if stolen.

The tracker cost depends of the spec you want and the operating charges are £100pa. Other suppliers are available .

I hope this helps - its a wicked world :eek:

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

In a world where gold standard locks can be beaten we can only try our best to (a) deter theft, (b) know when the bike is being tampered with and (c) trace and retrieve it .

I use a Gold Standard D lock and have bicycle concealed on it. I brought the tracker from mytrackershop.com which sends a alert to y mobile if the bike is moved and allows me to follow its whereabouts if stolen.

The tracker cost depends of the spec you want and the operating charges are £100pa. Other suppliers are available .

I hope this helps - its a wicked world :eek:
Thanks. Hmm... I think £100pa + cost for a bike worth <£500 doesn't make sense. Plus being able to track it wouldn't be of any use to me. Surely a sound alarm would be better? Plus a couple of decent locks, of course.

Louise

Sharky

Guru
Also check out the insurance route. Keep receipts, photos of the bike, frame numbers and register it. And advise the insurance company how it is stored over night.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Also check out the insurance route. Keep receipts, photos of the bike, frame numbers and register it. And advise the insurance company how it is stored over night.
Thanks, though that wouldn't prevent it being stolen plus even just theft only bike insurance is relatively expensive - probably not worth it for low value bikes.
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Is there absolutely no space in the flat?
No, not really. I could leave it in the hall for a short time or if I go out. But in the hall it would contravene fire regulations if I was indoors - worse still, it could make it difficult for me to get out if there was an actual fire. The hall is quite narrow and it would be a hassle to wheel it in and out.

Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Home insurance?
I don't have any. I live in a small, furnished flat and don't own much stuff of my own so I don't bother. Being on the top/2nd floor and behind a security door doesn't make it impregnable but it's unlikely anyone would bother trying to break in.
Louise

Top Bottom