Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

I'll have to look up how the cable part works... I've no experience with D-locks - at all!
Louise
OIC :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll have to look up how the cable part works... I've no experience with D-locks - at all!
Louise
Dead easy.

You put the U through the railings, then the rest through the bike frame/rear wheel, then pass the cable through the front wheel, and pop the hoops on the U, then close the Lock with the Locking Bar.

vickster

Legendary Member
The OnGuard Brute lock I bought is a very good lock but I found its frame bracket too flimsy. I only used it once then removed it. The lock is now carried in/on my rucksack for short local shopping rides.
The Abus and Kryptonites have decent brackets IME. I like the rubber Bordo one that just attached to bottle age mounts.
That said 99% of the time my D lock or the Bordo goes in my rack pack

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don't have any. I live in a small, furnished flat and don't own much stuff of my own so I don't bother. Being on the top/2nd floor and behind a security door doesn't make it impregnable but it's unlikely anyone would bother trying to break in.
Louise
It would not be covered on house insurance if left outside.

A couple of decent locks. Take the seat with you all the time and change the pedals for clip off pedals and take them inside as well.

As a tracker, home insurance, bicycle insurance or indoor storage have all be ruled out , the last one standing is the earlier posted suggestion by ColinJ - actually that option has 4 legs !! ^_^^_^^_^

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

As a tracker, home insurance, bicycle insurance or indoor storage have all be ruled out , the last one standing is the earlier posted suggestion by ColinJ - actually that option has 4 legs !! ^_^^_^^_^
?
I said it might go in the kitchen but I'll have to see.
Louise

It is quite narrow with 4/5 doors. There is a wall mounted heater which narrows the width to about 80cm. I'd probably be able to squeeze past but I suspect it would contravene fire regulations. I could easily catch myself on the handlebars/pedals so it would be a hazard in the hall. As I say, I'll try and wheel it into the kitchen when I actually get it. Um, the 'frosted glass' effect image of me hides a lot!
Louise
Folding pedals make a big difference to tucking the bike away. I have a similar issue but more so, which is one of the reasons I got a folding bike. Where I store it, I could almost get away with not folding it as long as I have the pedals folded. I say almost, if it was my own shed I would be able to manage it but it's my neighbour's and I can't rearrange it to suit me! Front wheel and handlebars might tuck at an angle into a corner somewhere then if the pedals are folded, the thing is literally just inches wide.

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Folding pedals make a big difference to tucking the bike away. I have a similar issue but more so, which is one of the reasons I got a folding bike. Where I store it, I could almost get away with not folding it as long as I have the pedals folded. I say almost, if it was my own shed I would be able to manage it but it's my neighbour's and I can't rearrange it to suit me! Front wheel and handlebars might tuck at an angle into a corner somewhere then if the pedals are folded, the thing is literally just inches wide.
I'm not going to get a folding bike. I'm hoping to get a Liv Alight 3 disc this week/weekend :smile: but still to be confirmed.

Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

You don't need a folding bike to fit folding pedals. Folding pedals remove a big sticky-out bit along the bike's otherwise-narrow length.
Ok - but I won't be getting folding pedals either. I'm an old lady - I want to keep things as simple and straightforward as possible :smile:
Louise

Top Bottom