bike service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
ive just got my bike back from having a service I told them thegears were jumping and chain catching on front mech picked it up got back home went for a quick spin gears still jumping and chain still rubbing on front mech im not a happy person can I ask them to re check without paying any more they had to replace a barrel adjuster on the rear mech

wisdom

Guru
Yes straight back.They have not fixed the initial problem.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What is the combination of gears that causes the chain to rub on the cage?

Sharky

Guru
What did the service cover?
A jumping chain is most likely caused by worn chain/cassette or a new chain with a worn cassette. If these were replaced within the service, then take it back for further inspection. If replacements were not included in the service, then you might expect them to charge you for the additional parts, but they should have detected the jumping and advised during the initial service.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
If you asked them to remedy a specific fault and they charged you for doing so, you are within your rights to go back and get them to do what you paid for. If they couldn't fix the problems they should have told you when you picked it up.

Edit: Don't waste time though. Go straight back or they might try to say you have done something to make the fault(s) reappear. "It was ok when it left us" kind of thing....

CXRAndy

Guru
Learning to do your own bike servicing is very rewarding. Youtube and cycle forums are invaluable resources to ask/ refer.

Trouble is, if you get really good at it, all your none mechanically minded buddies then ask you to sort out their silly little problems.

Jumping chain- this could be the indexing is slightly off and the chain is catching the larger cog beside it. inline barrel adjustment should sort it.

Front derailleur if two gears again an adjustment of cable tension and/or end stops. Also check the derailleur arm is in line (parallel) with the chainrings, sometimes they get knocked and are skewed out of position.

Adjust alignment when derailleur is on inside chainring. This prevents the derailleur moving down by the tension of the cable.

OP
OP
B

bygone era

Über Member
What is the combination of gears that causes the chain to rub on the cage?
I can be in456 on back its 8 speed and when change up or down on front its catching the outer edge on the inside also another thing when I put rear brakes on it squels on the rim a mavic ma2 I think im just going to get a modern bike but ive always had steel would love a titanium not sure about carbon long term

Sharky

Guru
Brake squeal can be caused by contamination. I've occasionally allowed a few drops of oil to hit the chain when cleaning/oiling the chain, but does wear off after a few miles.

Or more likely, the brake shoes need to be adjusted, so that the leading edge of the brake shoe hits the rim first. Then when braking with pressure, the whole of the brake shoe is firmly applied to the surface of the rim. If the trailing edge of the shoe hits first, it's not always the case.

Try loosening the brake shoe, place a thin piece of metal under the trailing edge and retighten against the rim.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's impossible to understand the chain rub from what you describe. An experienced cyclist would be able to work it out straight away, which is why you'd do best to go back to the shop, explain why you're disappointed and ask what they suggest needs to be done.

I'm dead against the notion of "servicing" a bike. With a car, yes, oils and filters need changing and sometimes brake pads but there's nothing an owner can do routinely to keep it running smoothly. A bike is different; parts wear fast, cables fray, wheels get damaged, it's an assembly of delicate mechanisms attached to a frame. A competent cyclist is on top of all these adjustments and doesn't leave them until one big service or worse, leave them to some muppet who has no experience of the bike or emotional interest in it. At any time a good cyclist would be able to tell you the condition of their tyres, brakes, cables etc. without even looking. When something is less than perfect it gets replaced or overhauled. The French manufacturer Mavic makes very good wheels but they are designed with a certain engineering philosophy in mind and if the owner doesn't maintain the freehub it dies within a few thousand miles with a horrible howl of death.

There's a good explanation on brake adjustment above. It's about setting the pads so that braking stress pulls them parallel to the rim.

There is nothing to fear with carbon bikes. Carbon is stronger structurally than other materials but more easily damaged by careless handling. They are massively popular because they're light, structurally stiff yet smooth-riding and feel fantastic to ride. If you have concerns sign up for the Cyclist magazine track day near you this spring and spend an enjoyable day riding all the top carbon (and some aluminium) road bikes. I guarantee you'll be blown away. My BIL, a dyed-in-the-wool steel touring bike rider came along with us to York last year, tried a Specialized Roubaix, bought one the following Monday and now loves it, saying it has even taken 2 mph off all his average speeds.

Here: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/2650/cyclist-track-days-2019-buy-your-tickets-now

Last edited:
Top Bottom