Bike setup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bealz998

Hello I recently brought a carrera tdf from halfords and I can't fault the bike, they obviously just slap the bike together which isn't setup for me I feel comfortable riding it but there must be some adjustments I can do for it to suit me better as all I've done was lift the seat up

Biker Joe

Über Member
There's loads of stuff on the forums about setting your bike up.
Just have a search through.
You'll probably find other information as well that will interest you no doubt.
Happy searching.:smile:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I got same bike and yes they did slap it together. I gave it a FULL service before I even went out for the first time. Haven't really set mine up properly yet. I have raised the seat up so my leg is almost straight when fully extended but not fully locked straight. ( slight bend in the knee )
I did try dropping the handle bars by removing a couple of the spacers for a more aggressive aero approach, but it just gave me bad back ache, so put them back on the highest setting. I do still get the odd back or neck pain so I think I need to get set up properly..... Or improve my posture on the bike ?????
Lots of tips on YouTube, well worth a look

I got same bike and yes they did slap it together. I gave it a FULL service before I even went out for the first time. Haven't really set mine up properly yet. I have raised the seat up so my leg is almost straight when fully extended but not fully locked straight. ( slight bend in the knee )
I did try dropping the handle bars by removing a couple of the spacers for a more aggressive aero approach, but it just gave me bad back ache, so put them back on the highest setting. I do still get the odd back or neck pain so I think I need to get set up properly..... Or improve my posture on the bike ?????
Lots of tips on YouTube, well worth a look
Or just get fit on the bike, it does take sometime, people look for bike fits because of aches and pains, when really most of the time all that is required is time on the bike to improve your overall muscle strength, this will then help support you on the bike.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Or just get fit on the bike, it does take sometime, people look for bike fits because of aches and pains, when really most of the time all that is required is time on the bike to improve your overall muscle strength, this will then help support you on the bike.
Yes iv read that core strength is also key ? :/

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes iv read that core strength is also key ? :/
It's key if you believe the multi-billion fitness class craze. Your "core" has no doubt been doing a fine job of supporting you most of your life, nobody has ever explained why taking up cycling suddenly makes it incapable of it's job.

Newbies will often find aches and pains, that is relative to any sport not just cycling.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
It's key if you believe the multi-billion fitness class craze. Your "core" has no doubt been doing a fine job of supporting you most of your life, nobody has ever explained why taking up cycling suddenly makes it incapable of it's job.

Newbies will often find aches and pains, that is relative to any sport not just cycling.
Glad you said that as I find it difficult to find the time to go out on a two hour ride these days, let alone trying to find time to do other training

Never said anything about core strength, but the overall improvement in your muscles will improve to support you whilst cycling, which your body at the outset is NOT use to.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Never said anything about core strength, but the overall improvement in your muscles will improve to support you whilst cycling, which your body at the outset is NOT use to.
So rather than get used to something you aren't used to doing, you suggest doing something else you aren't used to doing as it may help you get used to the first thing you aren't used to doing.

What happened to riding a bike to get better at riding a bike?

So rather than get used to something you aren't used to doing, you suggest doing something else you aren't used to doing as it may help you get used to the first thing you aren't used to doing.

What happened to riding a bike to get better at riding a bike?
I think you will find that, that is what I suggested. I quote, What I said was "or just get fit on the bike"

michaelcycle

I think the distinction is that if you have no real issue with your lower back then you will receive more than enough core activation through normal exercise or activity for specific exercises not to be an area of concern.

If you do have issues with your lower back then focusing on the core may prove useful (although there is no real consensus if this actually necessary. However, covering the bases seems a good idea and core exercises take very little time to perform.)

wait4me

Veteran
After the basic seat height and forward/rearward position it is as most say...ride the bike and your body will become acclimatised to the position you are in when riding.
after years on MTBs and Hybrids I bought my first road bike for many years (they were racing bikes when I had them previously) in April. Sitting on it in the garage I wondered if I had made a good decision but after less than 100 miles (not the same day) it felt great.
So go for it and endure for a while then enjoy

sreten

Hi,

If the bike is the right size for you and there is nothing unusual in your proportions
its not very complicated IMO. My saddle it set the right height and the middle of
the rails on the "zero" mark. I'm not a big fan of "KOPS" so I've never really
bothered with the seat fore and aft, but have played around with its angle.

Once that is about right you have limited choice at the front, bar angle
and height, the height range restricted to the spacers underneath
the stem and flipping the stem from up to down.
Most new bikes come stem flipped up, stem maximum height.

Most start off full height and only after a while try lowering the bars to
see how they get on. Leaving just the bar angle to adjust which for
most is pretty intuitive being comfortable on the drops/ hoods.

The "best" height will depend on you and your conditioning
and your compromises regarding hoods and drops.

My bikes stem down, stem at the bottom, but I've got bullhorns.

rgds, sreten.

Seek advice, or read up on fitting a lot if you have unusual proportions.
Most people don't and most bikes fit most people fairly easily.

Top Bottom