Bike setup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevor_P

I'm just under 6ft weighing in at just over 15st. (Down from nearly 17st at Christmas) Only been cycling for a month on a Large (54cm) Carrera Virtuoso. Already replaced the tyres and pedals. It feels as though the seat is too far back though, especially When I start putting in some effort. The seat is as far forward as I can get it. I've used the KOPS method to check and that says that my seat isn't far enough back, i.e. my knee is 40mm ahead of the pedal spindle. I tend to move forward on the saddle though. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm using Gatorskins, What pressure should I set them at? Currently using 100psi, but the vibration can be hand numbing and eye blurring at times. Recommendations as to improving the bar/tapes also welcome, I'm not wearing any gloves, but find the hands getting uncomfortable even on 10m rides.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i am 5ft 10 and normaly use these measurement when riding a different bike and then fine tune saddle to floor 39" bars to floor 36" and 21" from centre line of bars to nose of saddle .

check your saddle is flat and not tilted forwards or backwards

DWiggy

Über Member
I set my bike up so the knee is in line with the ball of my foot when the peddle is at the 9 o'clock position you might find the seat needs moving back! also make sure the saddle is plum level, if its tilted forward you will be sliding forward and it wont be comfy, also gloves are a must, great to sore hands and also if you have an off!

PS I'm also running Gators and have them at 120psi but I'm about 11 stone, I wouldn't go much lower than 100 because you might start getting punctures

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

Saddle adjusted level, I think I'll replace this soon, getting a little numbness where I shouldn't. Slight forward tilt cured this, but if it's better level then a new saddle seems in order. Cork tape looks good. Gloves for when I have an off seems sensible. Forgot to add that I've changed the stem from 110mm to 90mm too, as I was over-reaching.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Side picture of you on the bike would help so we can comment with you hands on the hoods and with heel on pedal at the bottom and feet on at 3 o clock .

cyberknight

Thicker tape and good gloves for the vibration
I use specialized phat tape , i have a trapped nerve so my left hand is tingly at times off the bike and i find this helps .
100 psi for conti gators is what i run at.
Carrera virtuoso has an allory fork so the ride is harsher than something with carbon fork but good set up and gel tape should alleviate this .
Maybe get a lay back seat post so you can sit further back
Have you tried flipping your stem to riase your handlebar height ?
Sounds a lot to me like your not got the seat far enough back so your weight is balanced , it sounds counter intuitive but having the seat to far forward can put more weight on your hands .
When you say your seat is to far forwards do you mean ?
bike-seat.jpg

or
9707e006.jpg

cyberknight

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

When you say your seat is to far forwards do you mean ?
bike-seat.jpg
That's the one. But I think you might be right, it 'feels like' I want the seat further forward. In reality according to everything I've read, the seat actually needs to be further back. It might be that I've got the weight distribution wrong and am putting too much weight on my hands. I'll give it a go.

It might just be that my aging legs need to be a little more flexible. I'll see if I can get some side on photo's. The stem is already quite high.

cyberknight

If your still moving forward on the saddle maybe you need a smaller stem ?
I would get your saddle height and setback right 1st then work from there , as a basic guide for reach i find the old rule
"When on the hoods the front hub should be obscured by the front of the stem " is a good starting point .

IMG_0232.JPG

Dont get to hung up on kops , Keith Bontrager has some issues with it so go with what feels right for you , i use maybe 1 cm behind KOPS but that works for me .

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Totally get some gloves. Or when you wrap some new tape, lay a strip of tape along the top edge of the bend (most people lean against there a lot?) I sure do

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

Did a 32 miler today, though the battery on the phone died half way so Strava only recorded half of it :cursing:. Had the saddle further back so that the knees were over the pedal spindles. Had a few minor niggles, the right foot cleat feels like it should be further forward, but its as far forward as it will go. Some discomfort in the right knee, and the lower right back too.

I've ordered some Specialized BG gel gloves, and a new Saddle. Will re-tape the bars this week too. I reckon that I didn't get a short enough stem when I went from 110mm to 90mm, so I'll try a 50mm and see how I get on with that. I'll bear those tips in mind too.

Bikes due a free service in a weeks time, but the gears are noisy already, so I'll have to fettle them as well. Couldn't use the big chainring at all as the chain came off half way round today and I had nothing with me to slacken the cable - meh. All good fun.

Top Bottom