Bike Shake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The rider in Young Ed's first video is wearing baggies, which must have been flapping in the wind and causing the wobble.

The rider in the second video has massive balls to have let go of the bars like that!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The rider in the second video has massive balls to have let go of the bars like that!
Or a tiny brain? :whistle::laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
Wheels out of balance can start it off, Speedo magnet opposite side of wheel to valve helps, a little.

As others have said there are many reasons, just stay calm and pray to whatever God you have, oh and keep smiling of course.

As buggi said, knees against the frame (i usually put one against it whenever i'm going so fast pedaling is pointless) it changes the resonance frequency of the frame and the wobble should stop. Or never start.

There has been a lot written about shimmy, and some of it is true!
I have one bike, a Mercian, that this can happen on.....if I either remove one hand from the bars (scary!) or place one thigh against the top tube, it will stop.
Funnily enough, if I have the front end loaded, it doesn't do it.
The best bit I read on t'internet was about some sort of 'triangulation' type theory.....can't find it, or explain it properly right now!

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the likelihood of crashing from this? What happens if you apply the brakes? I just know if this happened to me I'd either do something stupid or cling on for dear life. It looks utterly terrifying!
A CCer ended up with broken shoulder / collarbone after a speed wobble took him into a wall I think, could have been worse, so it can end in a not good way

Trickedem

Guru
I found out that my Dawes Galaxy suffers from this when fully loaded with two panniers on the rear. I was touring in Spain and would get the wobbles above 25mph. Back home, when more lightly loaded I have regularly done more than 40mph and it's fine. On my next tour I will be using a couple of fork mounted panniers to even the load.

Top Bottom