Bike shop - Bayonne/San Sebastian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Bit random this, but need some help.

Travelling around in a camper van with my bike on the back, doing a bit of cycling here and there, but I’ve got trouble with my front wheel. Broken spoke yesterday (that’s the 4th in that wheel) and I’ve no spares. The wheel needs rebuilding, lost confidence in it, but I won’t be staying anywhere long enough to get it organised, so I’m thinking of buying a new pair of wheels, but where?

Disc brake, 700c, QR axles, wide rims if possible.

Anyone got any experience of bike shops in that area? Google throws up plenty but I’m looking for somewhere that is most likely to have stock of something like Fulcrum 4 or 5DB.

Help!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't help but couldn't you contact them by email or phone? Time to brush up on Spanish bike component terms.
Or you could order a new wheel set from Evans if you can install yourself in a hotel or guest house as they can send by DHL.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Might try Hunt wheels. They will ship anywhere, get them sent to somewhere in San Sebastian. But I’m near Bayonne so I’ll drive to a shop there first. Everywhere is closed on Monday, Pentacote religious day, so if nothing today then il be walking

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Great shop in Bayonne, Culture Velo*, but only had Mavic and Enve(!) in stock, and the Mavic were all through axle. Other wheels they have to order in on Tuesday, delivery maybe Thursday and by then I’ll be in Spain somewhere.

I’ve bought two pairs of Hunt wheels in the past and the service was superb both times. Very fast delivery. I’ll phone them, maybe they could deliver to a DPD/DHL depot or something.

*helpful owner tried to his best but when couldn’t come up with anything he phoned nearest competitor, a Giant shop, to ask if they had anything, but sadly they couldn’t.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's a pity you're not at the other end of the Pyrenees near Girona because half of Europe's pros live there so I bet there are a couple of decent bike shops.

D

Deleted member 26715

It's a pity you're not at the other end of the Pyrenees near Girona because half of Europe's pros live there so I bet there are a couple of decent bike shops.
You reckon they go into bike shop, I thought that was one of the perks, they got everything given

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Ended up ordering some Hunt 4 Seasons and they are shipping to my current campsite. Might be here Thursday but to be honest, we’re not in a hurry. Sit tight until they arrive.

I know they haven’t arrived yet but Hunt we’re easy to deal with. Long ‘txt chat’ about options and timing, very prompt responses. Wheels were in stock, ordered this morning and they were despatched this afternoon.

Need to find a Decathlon in San Sebastián to buy cassette remove tool, chain whip and disc centre lock spanner.

Having said all that, it’s so hilly around here, (Zarautz, a few miles west of San Sebastián) I’m not sure I’m up for any cycling. Horrendous gradients and not a flat road anywhere.

Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Well done and good luck! Sounds like you're well on the way to getting it all sorted, and you'll be fine, its not a single speed bike is it^_^. Its a nice part of the world to be 'stranded' for a few days, fingers crossed it all works out:okay:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
it’s so hilly around here, (Zarautz, a few miles west of San Sebastián) I’m not sure I’m up for any cycling. Horrendous gradients and not a flat road anywhere.

Yebbut all those hills will be perfectly engineered to steady gradients unlike British hills, which follow old cart tracks and packhorse trails.

Having said all that, it’s so hilly around here, (Zarautz, a few miles west of San Sebastián) I’m not sure I’m up for any cycling. Horrendous gradients and not a flat road anywhere.

What were you expecting to find in the Basque Country?

One of the reasons the people / language survived, the attacking forces couldn't get to them.

Top Bottom