Bike shop scratched my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

penster

I have an Airnimal folding bike which I send to a bike shop (my local Airnimal distributor) to have a repair (part of the frame replaced). They did a good job, but when it was returned to me, one of the front forks was badly scratched. It had obviously been jostled against something like another bike. The forks are laquered carbon, so the white scratches are very obvious and can't be cosmetically repaired eg. by painting over. The bike is used, so I can't ask for a replacement fork.
It was obvious that the scratches were fresh, and they had come from the bike being roughly handled.The guys in the shop basically shrugged their shoulders. They were sympathetic that my bike was scratched, but did not accept responsibility.
I am really, really pissed off. I find it extraordinary that a bike shop will damage your bike and then shrug off their responsibility.
Mick

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go back in and have a fit........

You might be able to t-cut it out if not too deep.

You have every right to expect a replacement. They will be hoping that you don't take it any further of course and may be confident that you can't actually prove that the damaged occurred whilst in their 'care'. Politely make it clear to them that complying with your request for a replacement will be a lot less bothersome for them than resisting. If they value their association with Airnimal they'll be keen for you not to write to the distributor for example. If they have Shi**no Service Centre accreditation they wont want you writing to Shi**no's UK agent etc. They do of course have third party liability insurance.

If you're concerned about what this might do to your relationship with the business in question just remember they started this by not only being incompetent but then having the gall to shirk their responsibility. They don't deserve your future custom.

Everyone makes mistakes, bikes sometimes get scratched in bike shops. In the past I've used situations like this to actually build relationships with customers along the lines of; '.... really sorry that we scratched your bike, what can we do to compensate you for the damage?' Most people say 'don't worry about it'. The most I ever had to pay out to compensate for a scratch was the value of a new jersey. Upfrontery and honesty go a long way but your shop are too zarking short sighted or stupid to appreciate this simplest of facts about human relationships. Fcuk em I say. Be a royal pain in the arse and get a new fork.

Noodley

mickle said:
You have every right to expect a replacement. They will be hoping that you don't take it any further of course and may be confident that you can't actually prove that the damaged occurred whilst in their 'care'. Politely make it clear to them that complying with your request for a replacement will be a lot less bothersome for them than resisting. If they value their association with Airnimal they'll be keen for you not to write to the distributor for example. If they have Shi**no Service Centre accreditation they wont want you writing to Shi**no's UK agent etc. They do of course have third party liability insurance.

If you're concerned about what this might do to your relationship with the business in question just remember they started this by not only being incompetent but then having the gall to shirk their responsibility. They don't deserve your future custom.

Everyone makes mistakes, bikes sometimes get scratched in bike shops. In the past I've used situations like this to actually build relationships with customers along the lines of; '.... really sorry that we scratched your bike, what can we do to compensate you for the damage?' Most people say 'don't worry about it'. The most I ever had to pay out to compensate for a scratch was the value of a new jersey. Upfrontery and honesty go a long way but your shop are too zarking short sighted or stupid to appreciate this simplest of facts about human relationships. Fcuk em I say. Be a royal pain in the arse and get a new fork.

wot e sed

Mr Pig

Totally agree with Mickle's advice. It's something we all dread when we put our bikes into shops.

People have the same thing happen to them with cars. I know a guy who had a brand new Mondeo STI (I think it was) in for a service and when he went to pick it up it was parked with the passenger to the wall. For some reason he checked the other side of the car rather than just getting in and the car had a gash right up the side of it!

Amazingly the garage tried to deny that they'd done it. It turned out that the car had been parked close to a car lift and the lift had caught it on the way down. He took his complaint right to the top and two people at the dealership were sacked. Says he'll never buy a Ford again.

I'd try my very best to nail them if I were you.

Bigtallfatbloke

...shitty LBS's...another reason why i am trying to learn to do every thing myself. Then I can sue myself and score a new bike:biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Penster
Check out the small claims court - costs you nothing to get the forms. Fill them in, take them with you when you go back to LBS. If they still say no, bring out the forms.
Chances are they will change their mind on the spot. if not pursue the claim - most claims are settled in favour of the individual and against the trader. It costs you very little if you lose, if you win they will have to pay for your costs, new forks, maybe a bit of £ for your trouble, and probably legal representation to make sure the magistrate doesnt go overboard in your favour. It is definitely worth their while to sort it before you get that far - believe me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hence why my bikes don't go into shops......learn how to do it yourself, especially if you keep this lark up...you'll have too many bikes to keep running to the shops with.......

Jonathan M

I try and do all my own bike maintenance, but lets face it, not all people have the tools, time or ability to do this. My toolbox has built up over 12 years, to the point where I can do most things except recut BB threads and build wheels.

When you went into the shop to complain about the damage, who (in the hierarchy) did you speak to? Did you get to owner/manager level, or just the guys in the shop. Also was it part of a chain, or an LBS? I would hope that my LBS would never react in such a dismissive manner, but having never had major dealings with a chainstore place or maintenance reasons it wouldn't surprise me if they would try an "owners risk" get out, even though someone further up in the chain would react differently.

Certainly should not be an issue that is just left, and needs pursuing further.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Shops carry insurance for that sort of thing, or they should do if they are prudent. So it ought not be their loss, just their No Claims Bonus.

Also try the CTC, they offer legal advice.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mr Pig said:
Totally agree with Mickle's advice. It's something we all dread when we put our bikes into shops.

People have the same thing happen to them with cars. I know a guy who had a brand new Mondeo STI (I think it was) in for a service and when he went to pick it up it was parked with the passenger to the wall. For some reason he checked the other side of the car rather than just getting in and the car had a gash right up the side of it!

Amazingly the garage tried to deny that they'd done it. It turned out that the car had been parked close to a car lift and the lift had caught it on the way down. He took his complaint right to the top and two people at the dealership were sacked. Says he'll never buy a Ford again.

I'd try my very best to nail them if I were you.

sorry slighty off thread topic...
Why would he never buy Ford again? It's not Ford's fault that the car got scratched. I can guess that the garage fixed the damage, The garage/company also took action against the individuals concerned. Seems rather petty behavior to me.. imvho of course.

OP
OP
P

penster

I take it all back. I emailed the shop with photos of the damage. The manager emailed back saying that the damage was 'unacceptable' and that he was ordering a new front fork for me free of charge.
Moral of the story: speak to the organ grinder and not the monkey ie. speak to the manager, not the bike shop tech guys.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
penster said:
I take it all back. I emailed the shop with photos of the damage. The manager emailed back saying that the damage was 'unacceptable' and that he was ordering a new front fork for me free of charge.
Moral of the story: speak to the organ grinder and not the monkey ie. speak to the manager, not the bike shop tech guys.

Good result :biggrin:

Top Bottom