Bike shop servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Carey

Have recently taken my bike in for a service and as its the first time i've done this just wanted to make sure what was quoted was all correct.

The main thing that I was unsure about what that wheel truing comes as part of the general service. I also need a new spoke and was told I have to pay for another truing seperately as the whole wheel will need checking once the new spoke is fitted.

Does this sound like the normal procedure?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It won't be. Standard service is generally adjust gears/brakes, dab of oil here and there and a safety check.

Full services include consumable replacements (parts not included) for about £80

Wheel truing in most places is about £15, more if it needs spokes/a spoke

Summerking

Veteran
if they know in advance that it needs a new spoke then they should true the wheel after they fit it, to charge in effect for 2 x wheels truings is a bit off

SWSteve

Guru
If this is what happened:
got wheel trued
told needed new spoke after truing wheel
new spoke
second truing

and they are charging for 2x truing then something smells funny.

OP
OP
Dave Carey

Dave Carey

It won't be. Standard service is generally adjust gears/brakes, dab of oil here and there and a safety check.

The truing is definately part of the service. I also questioned them as to why it needs to be done twice. As I do not know how these things work I can only take their word for it.

I lost the spoke the other day so I when I took the bike in to be serviced I told them it needed a new spoke. I could not understand why they could not fit the new spoke and then true the wheel.

T.M.H.N.E.T

What was the reason they gave for doing it twice? I've yet to find an LBS that trues a wheel in a general service, they might check the spokes and general tension(ie: safety check)

Truing a wheel, especially after a spoke is replaced is an entirely different issue.

subaqua

What’s the point
The truing is definately part of the service. I also questioned them as to why it needs to be done twice. As I do not know how these things work I can only take their word for it.

I lost the spoke the other day so I when I took the bike in to be serviced I told them it needed a new spoke. I could not understand why they could not fit the new spoke and then true the wheel.
what bike shop is it ?

I wouldn't expect it to have been included and if it was included then it should be part of the fixed labour price.

costs £15 in the LBS close to me. plus parts if reqd.

evans top notch service includes wheel truing from silver and above and the silver service at london bridge is £70

OP
OP
Dave Carey

Dave Carey

What was the reason they gave for doing it twice? I've yet to find an LBS that trues a wheel in a general service, they might check the spokes and general tension(ie: safety check)

Truing a wheel, especially after a spoke is replaced is an entirely different issue.

Just checked the website and it says 'check true wheels' is what is included in the service. Could it be that all they do is check it and if needed they then need to true the wheels which would be an extra cost?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Just checked the website and it says 'check true wheels' is what is included in the service. Could it be that all they do is check it and if needed they then need to true the wheels which would be an extra cost?
I watched a wheel being "checked" by eye one day. The guideline was the brake pad and the substantially changing gap. I'd be very surprised if much more than this or a quick hand check was all that was done in a standard service. ie: a loose spoke is a safety issue primarily so they may nip it up with a key. That doesn't mean the wheel is true though.

What you require is a spoke replaced,which will be tensioned and trued to the same note as those near it,in any decent LBS. A different and time consuming process warranting ££

OP
OP
Dave Carey

Dave Carey

I watched a wheel being "checked" by eye one day. The guideline was the brake pad and the substantially changing gap. I'd be very surprised if much more than this or a quick hand check was all that was done in a standard service. ie: a loose spoke is a safety issue primarily so they may nip it up with a key. That doesn't mean the wheel is true though.

What you require is a spoke replaced,which will be tensioned and trued to the same note as those near it,in any decent LBS. A different and time consuming process warranting ££

Sounds like it is all above board then. I just wanted to make sure they were not taking advantage of my lack of knowledge

carlos16

Took my bike in to LBS just the other day to replace a broken spoke, was £20 for new spoke fitted and wheel trued, also thought may as well have a service as chain was rubbing on front derailleur, fixed spoke fine but wasnt impressed with service, still the same problem when i got the bike home (i dont think they adjusted much at all,just oiled the chain!) service was £24, anyway i watched a youtube video and did it myself, glad i did it myself now as i have learnt how its works and know how to adjust things if i need to in the future.

OP
OP
Dave Carey

Dave Carey

Which LBS is it? in the forest or closer to Southampton?

It was Hargroves in Totton. Bike was done well I done L2B with no problem and there were none of those annoying noises you hear coming from your bike making you think its about to fall apart!

Top Bottom