Bike shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You're out for a ride and get a puncture . No problem but you know there is a bike shop very close so you hobble to the shop .
They say £5 for a tube £10 to do it for you . You only have £5 and have the stuff to DIY but would like to keep your DIY as you are far from home . Will they take a bank transfer . No .
Then you ask to buy a new tube just incase your DIY fails and they say £6
It seems some shops , no matter how polite and friendly you are just want to be dicks .

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Last time I had a puncture in town, my LBS put a new tube in, gave me a coffee and didn't charge me anything.
I dropped some cakes in for the lads the following week.
Guess where I go for most of my stuff.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
George Hall Cycles, in Mkt. Harborough, were exactly the opposite.
When I had multiple visits from the p*ncture fairy, on a canal side ride, they let me use their workshop to fit new tubes etc.
Mind you, I did have the ££ on me to buy the new tubes.

Last edited:

adamhearn

Veteran
It seems some shops , no matter how polite and friendly you are just want to be dicks
Whilst it would have been great to get free fitting/service/whatever you thought you were due I dare say they consider being a sustainable business as more important than you...

And only carrying £5, was that on purpose or a lapse? Of course, if you were riding with a spare tube as well as a set of patches then you could have saved yourself all the bother :smile:

hoopdriver

Guru
Marathon-plus tyres
Patch kit
Spare tube
Tyre levers
Pump
Multi tool
Spare chain link
Twenty pound note tucked in my saddlebag and left there - so it's always there

And, happily, a wonderful bike shop in town! Handsome Bicycles, in Hastings - I couldn't even imagine them behaving like that.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Cleveland cycles Coningsby, would not even sell a tube as they were just about to shut for lunch.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm all for keeping the lbs in business by supplying them work that I can't do myself, but moaning about them charging for work that you just can't be arsed doing yourself? Help me out here.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unbelievable post!

Too lazy or disorganised to carry a spare tube, pump and tyre levers then whining when a shop wants to charge a perfectly realistic sum of money to divert a qualified mechanic for ten minutes. Even at ten pounds the shop would make no profit, no matter how quickly the job is done.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Unbelievable post!

Too lazy or disorganised to carry a spare tube, pump and tyre levers then whining when a shop wants to charge a perfectly realistic sum of money to divert a qualified mechanic for ten minutes. Even at ten pounds the shop would make no profit, no matter how quickly the job is done.
Unbelievable post !
Too lazy to read what i posted or too disorganised to remember what was posted while you wrote your reply ?
I had repair kit on me but was very close to the shop .
I had offered a way of paying .
I opted to buy the £5 spare tube as using the one i already had would leave me with no spare if i couldnt remove the problem from the tyre on first repair .
They put the price up by £1 knowing i was only carrying £5 cash .

KneesUp

Guru
Retailer here.

If the shop owner had said the tube was £5 at the start of the conversation, and then later asked for £6, (s)he is not my kind of retailer.

I get that they wanted to get a certain return on the job, but if that's the case then I'd phrase it as £6 for a tube, or £15 fitted, rather that £5 for a tube if you also spend £10 on fitting, or £6 for a tube on it's own - that's just misleading / confusing / irritating to the customer.

And it means they have made £0 out of a punter rather than whatever they would have made selling the tube for £5.

Top Bottom