Bike shops

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Cuchilo, 4 Mar 2018.

1. Pumpkin the robot

Pumpkin the robot Über Member

I worked just around the corner from them. I spent most of my lunch breaks in the shop.

2. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

You're right of course. And no ziplok required in these modern times. Just the merest flick under a tap and it's brand new, ready to give succour to any poor veloiste gormless enough not to be carrying a shelf-ful of Halfordsiana in his back pocket.

stalagmike likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

You take too many drugs .

4. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

5. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

Greggs ?

6. Dirk

Dirk Guru

Warrens.

Afnug likes this.
  7. Johnno260

Johnno260 Senior Member

I couldn't sing the praises of my LBS enough.

They're friendly and helpful and I have dropped in multiple times with questions and issues and all sorted on the spot.

8. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

I checked my wallet that I carry my phone in earlier. I forgot that I spent the fiver I usually carry and all that was left moneywise was a 20 Mexican Peso note which I keep in case I split a tyre. I wonder if that “bike shop” would accept that?

mjr likes this.
  9. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Senior Member

Some business activity is profitable, some is only break-even at best. If you run a "walk in" operation you have to accept that some business is only marginally profitable. The payback on the less profitable stuff is goodwill plus dilution of overheads across more total revenue. An inner tube is not going to cost more than £2 wholesale, so any price higher than £2 is a profitable sale. I'd happily sell £2 tubes to punters at £5 each all day long!
    From a purely profit prospective, my local pub would be just as well off if they only opened Fridays, Saturdays, and Sunday lunchtimes as these are the times they make their money. During quiet times they will just about cover their wages & overheads but they open 7 days a week because the punters expect the facility to be there whenever they fancy a beer.

burntoutbanger likes this.
  10. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I agree with that, but you need to see what my reply was too.

11. Mogie

Mogie Member

Halfords tubes £2, I carry many....

adamhearn likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice