Bike Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manuals

Regular
I guess it's a suck ut and see

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just appears at face value to be way undersized - that is apart from the weirdo's at Ribble who sized me for a 52.5 R872 (over the phone).
Still to get my head round that one.
Which is my point. Every single bike size thread ends up with height quoted all over the place. Height doesn't tell you what inside leg,torso or arm length are.

I'm curious as to how it would appear to be "way undersized" considering the information you lack

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Which is my point. Every single bike size thread ends up with height quoted all over the place. Height doesn't tell you what inside leg,torso or arm length are.

I'm curious as to how it would appear to be "way undersized" considering the information you lack
For the sake of argument (& I am not looking for one), lets call it conventional wisdom says 6' 3' & a 54 don't go.

Now I know there can be large differences in geometry & the way one brand calculate sizes over another but ...I would have thought that even given that you would need a large or xl frame size, so anywhere between say 56 & 60.

Now - I had a Giant Defy Large which I sold on (too big) a medium in same model I found to small (this was prior to Giant's introduction of the ML frame size).

I currently ride a 56 & my next +1 will be a 58 (ignoring the 60 I have been advised to get).

I am 6' 1/4' - 184cm - with shorter legs than torso - 33' inseam.

I do realise that body shape/dimensions & frame geometry can vary significantly but how significantly ?

The significant point of my original reply was that the guy had issues with feet hitting front wheel in turns - this can't be good can it ?

I am open to other theories & reason why yours or anyone else's small frame fits a large body though.

Cheers.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
For the sake of argument (& I am not looking for one), lets call it conventional wisdom says 6' 3' & a 54 don't go.(1)

Now I know there can be large differences in geometry & the way one brand calculate sizes over another but ...I would have thought that even given that you would need a large or xl frame size, so anywhere between say 56 & 60.(2)

Now - I had a Giant Defy Large which I sold on (too big) a medium in same model I found to small (this was prior to Giant's introduction of the ML frame size).(3)

I currently ride a 56 & my next +1 will be a 58 (ignoring the 60 I have been advised to get).(4)

I am 6' 1/4' - 184cm - with shorter legs than torso - 33' inseam.(5)

I do realise that body shape/dimensions & frame geometry can vary significantly but how significantly ?(6)

The significant point of my original reply was that the guy had issues with feet hitting front wheel in turns - this can't be good can it ?(7)

I am open to other theories & reason why yours or anyone else's small frame fits a large body though.(8)

Cheers.
(1) Conventional size guides suggest by height that I should be riding a 60-62.
(2) Why would you have thought that? Just by my height alone?
(3) Ok?
(4) Your conventional sizing seems to have got it wrong somewhat, or you don't trust it yourself.
(5) 6ft 3 - 37inch inside leg - short torso - long gangly arms. I don't have the reach for long top tubes. I discovered this by riding a 61cm frame and a 58cm frame. I'll throw you another bone, my training bike is a 56cm :smile:
(6) As per 5
(7) Toe-clipping. The mysterious invention of latter 2013 that everyone panics about. I've never fallen off a bike due to my own feet.
(8) I've given you enough reasons why "conventional" bike sizing by height is often erroneous and why test riding is always the best way to go.

Last edited:

Justiffa

I'm 5' 2" (157cm) and ride a 44

Is tht ok u think.. or should a 42 be better? would be nice to hv some feedback, thx :girl:

Pick a bike, test ride different sizes.
I despair seeing bike sizing being done by height, it means very little
Oooops pls don't slay me for asking... just for a general opinion is all, thx :hello:

Manuals

Regular
There are websites which calculate size required based on various information you supply.theres also a app for your mobile But each site gives me a different answer! !

vickster

Legendary Member
There are websites which calculate size required based on various information you supply.theres also a app for your mobile But each site gives me a different answer! !
Surely the best way to know what bike is the right size for YOU is to go test ride bikes. Evans for example make this very easy

Top Bottom