Bike Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

maybe 17?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm female 5' 6" but with a 31.5 inside leg and I have both a 17 and a 19" frame - so possibly look at 19" too as long as he can has enough clearance over the top tube. But if its road bike aren't they normally measured in cm?

oxbob

I am same 5'6'' 29'' inseam, i ride 17'' in mtb and 52cm in horizontal road frame. However in compact/sloping frames the size varies from manufacturer.My personal opinion is the top tube length is more important, so get him down the lbs to try some out

02GF74

Über Member
oxbob said:
My personal opinion is the top tube length is more important, so get him down the lbs to try some out

yep - back in the day when road bikes had horizontal top tube, the seat tube was more or less the same length, when measured C-C; now with sloping road bike tubes and extended seat tubes, sizing is a bit more troublesome.

Graham O

I'm more or less the same size and normally ride a 19" frame to fit my legs. However I got a medium size Pompino earlier this year, for which I am at the bottom of the size range and it is a wonderful fit and very comfortable. Okay for my legs, but a much better fit for my upper body. Don't automatically think short in stature = smallest frame.

OLDSHUNTER

:becool:carrera road frame size would be medium as i'm 5'7 with 30/31 inside leg.Also other manufacturer's have a different size of frame size so you need to watch .Although going on his size then large is definate no and he's probably between small with saddle raised or medium saddle low.;):becool:

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

oxbob said:
I am same 5'6'' 29'' inseam, i ride 17'' in mtb and 52cm in horizontal road frame. However in compact/sloping frames the size varies from manufacturer.My personal opinion is the top tube length is more important, so get him down the lbs to try some out

Cheers everyone.

Comment above (and others) very much in line with my thinking, i.e. I have bought several road bikes over past 25 years, but none for past 5, and was conscious of how much "more complicated" it seems to be nowadays....or perhaps it's just that's because I'm getting old;)

Top Bottom