Bike sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dom4658

How much of an effect can this really make?
Im 6'1. Therefore its my understanding i need a 58cm/60cm sized bike. Im just curious how much this could affect the comfort of the ride. Would it matter which one? Could a 56 even work?

vickster

Legendary Member
I ended up with chronic tennis elbow riding a bike that was too big and needed surgery...I'd make sure it fits! You can always put a longer stem on a bike that is too small, but if really doesn't fit you, it'll be hard to get comfortable and avoid damaging bits of you

OP
OP
D

dom4658

sounds lovely! haha
am i right in thinking that by putting a longer stem in though it would make the seat higher than the handlebars, causing you to lean forward more? As opposed to buying a bigger bike it would all be in proportion and reduce the leaning?

OP
OP
D

dom4658

what a fantastic idea.

this was more asking more information because im looking to buy online and i wanted to know what the problems could be if for whatever the wrong size was got.

OP
OP
D

dom4658

yeah i guess. i'll go get properly measured somewhere too cos i cant find a definite answer online

vickster

Legendary Member
All bikes vary in size, you need to ride the ones you like the look of in your budget and see which feels best for you, you don't necessarily need a pro bike fit

simon.r

Person
sounds lovely! haha
am i right in thinking that by putting a longer stem in though it would make the seat higher than the handlebars, causing you to lean forward more? As opposed to buying a bigger bike it would all be in proportion and reduce the leaning?

The stem is the part that connects the handlebar to the fork steerer - it won't affect the seat height. I think you mean the seat-post.

A larger bike will normally have a longer head-tube, which does make the height difference between the saddle and bars less, assuming the saddle is in the correct position. The position of the handlebars can also be altered by moving the stem up or down the fork steerer (to some extent) or by fitting a different length or different rise stem.

But - get a bike that fits and then you can tweak the position rather than try to make big changes.

OP
OP
D

dom4658

The stem is the part that connects the handlebar to the fork steerer - it won't affect the seat height. I think you mean the seat-post.

A larger bike will normally have a longer head-tube, which does make the height difference between the saddle and bars less, assuming the saddle is in the correct position. The position of the handlebars can also be altered by moving the stem up or down the fork steerer (to some extent) or by fitting a different length or different rise stem.

But - get a bike that fits and then you can tweak the position rather than try to make big changes.

got it :smile: appreciated!

Top Bottom