Bike slipping gears while peddling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Back in the day I would spend many a happy hour in the bike shop "swapping the block and chain". The block being the freewheel. So yep, best to fit a new chain and freewheel to stop slipping / skipping

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Does my chain ring look okay?

Attachments

• 20210815_165057.jpg
    20210815_165057.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210815_165109.jpg
    20210815_165109.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Far as I know that if the tooth is shaped like a sharks tooth, that means that it's completely worn out. Is that true?

dodgy

I can't tell. The difference between a worn and unworn chainring can often only be measured by a tool. Fit the new freewheel as I mentioned above and see what happens.

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

I can't tell. The difference between a worn and unworn chainring can often only be measured by a tool. Fit the new freewheel as I mentioned above and see what happens.

Can you tell me what tool I need to measure the chain ring?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah I saw the (other) thread on that. You should just wait 2 days and install it upon arrival. Chainrings wear a lot slower and I seriously doubt you have put in the miles to wear down the teeth enough to worry about it.

Let us know if the newly fitted freewheel fixes it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Chains wear about (rule of thumb) a quarter the rate of a chainring (NB double/compact).
Edit: Chains wear about (rule of thumb) four times the rate of a chainring (NB double/compact).
Thank you to both @DaveReading and @mrj for the inversion error spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Yeah I saw the (other) thread on that. You should just wait 2 days and install it upon arrival. Chainrings wear a lot slower and I seriously doubt you have put in the miles to wear down the teeth enough to worry about it.

Let us know if the newly fitted freewheel fixes it.

I mean I had the bike for 3 years in total and in the first 2 years, I only used it for 3 or 4 months of out the entire year for each year and never really put many miles on it until this year. Now I put atleast 100 miles a week now.

I will try the new freewheel and see how it goes.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Here's what I would do ( at this point)

I would put the old chain back on and use the old chain and old freewheel until the freewheel starts slipping badly enough that the bike becomes unrideable.

Unrideable is a bit subjective, obviously. In my case I find that my low gears slip when I use too much torque. For a while I just carry on until it gets annoying. This is normally about 6 months, depending on use (since all this Covid stuff started I have been working from home, so much less use)

At this point I replace both chain and freewheel.

However, everbody is different and perhaps you would rather just change everything now and be done with it. Horses for courses.

Good luck.

Top Bottom