Bike stand advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suzeworld

Veteran
Hi. After 30 years of ignoring our own bike maintenance beyond oil and tires (paying good men to do jobs for us) we are embracing the idea of some DIY mechanic-ing.
630B87E6-F4F2-41E8-B1A4-186F61141BC4.jpeg

She didn’t really find that garden chair to be the right gadget for propping up the bike.
SO
We’re after advice on a good stand.

We had a second-hand one given to us in the past but the clamp wasn’t adjustable enough for the range of bike-frame sizes we have and the tendency for the front wheel to move about and clock her in the head made it annoying. I suppose a bungee cord could have helped there.

But still, it was annoying and it got ditched.

Any comments on what else to look for or links to stands you’d recommend would be most welcome.
Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Park tools get good feedback if you’re happy to spend a bit more
eg https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-home-mechanic-workstand-pcs9-2/rp-prod185563

Over the Ord

I have the Lidl bike stand and the only complaint I had was that I kept tripping on the extended feet.
So I removed the centre pole with the clamp attached and fitted it to a work bench.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Lidl and Aldi ones are virtually indistinguishable from each other and good value for the money. They're often reduced in price a few weeks after "bike week" too.

I've also got one of the small stands that you hook the rear triangle on to lifts the rear wheel which makes it so easy to quickly clean and lube the chain.

Sharky

Guru
Is that the "Old Man" in the background. Used to fascinate me every time I went past it when I was little.

Can't really see the profile from that distance, so may not be.

Back to stands, I've struggled like you in the garden and garage for years. Some day I am going treat myself as well.

If you're not a fulltime bikewrangler/greasemonkey like vickster suze I don't think you need to stretch to the expense of the Park.

This:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-home-mechanic-workstand-inc-mat/rp-prod133219

I assume it's also available from wiggle them being the same bunch.

looks to be the same as the one I got from Edinburgh Bike Co-Op with their own branding several years ago. Don't think they do it anymore.

It's very good as long as you are careful to check that the top bit is secured properly.

It's quite lightweight but very stable and the pattern of the legs is good, meaning that it can be used in quite restricted spaces without you tripping over them.

It is available with several different brandings so if you study the pics closely you may well be able to find it cheaper, particularly as the mat chain reaction provide with it isn't really needed - something else to clean after you have mucked it up.

I bought mine to replace a Minoura that cost me something like £120 or £130 - stupidly left it outside my garage one night and then found it gone. But in truth the replacement ent stand is better I think.

If you did decide to go with chain reaction or wiggle, I'd sign up to their mailings - every now and then they will send you an offer to entice you - so much off orders over a certain amount and something like that stand would probably break through the minimum spend barrier.

snorri

Legendary Member
I like my Lidl bikestand , which is not a stand at all but a lifting sytem attached to the ceiling. It has no feet to trip over and is very conveniently stowed above my head and can be deployed instantly. Some complain that it will not hold the bike frame rigidly, but I have not found that to be a drawback.

OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
Is that the "Old Man" in the background. Used to fascinate me every time I went past it when I was little.
Did you notice my location is Helsby?
We actually live one side of Helsby Hill and that's the Frodsham hill we can see from the back of our garden - I dunno if they have nicknames, and tbh I don't think the Frodsham one is even called that!
They both look quite dramatic from the M56!

Sharky

Guru
Did you notice my location is Helsby?
We actually live one side of Helsby Hill and that's the Frodsham hill we can see from the back of our garden - I dunno if they have nicknames, and tbh I don't think the Frodsham one is even called that!
They both look quite dramatic from the M56!
Think the Old Man of Helsby is the Helsby Hill. Looks like a big head from certain views. The Frodsham Hill, I remember has a Helter Skelter at the top.
My old club used to use Frodsham Hill for it's annual Hill Climb. Not raced myself, but I've ridden up Frodsham Hill a few times. Must be a 1 in 4 at the top. Then I used to ride into Delamere then back home via frodsham, the runcorn Bridge and Prescot.

A long time ago.

Top Bottom