Bike Stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harve

Hi All.......Can any one direct me to a good and light weight bike stand (i have a galaxy).........I am fed up with looking for walls, trees, post boxes, on my tours and so on.........I am reasonably new to cycle touring and tend to just pack my bags and go without any planning, but this problem needs fixing !...........

Bigtallfatbloke

I was tempted to fit one to my galaxy, however I have seen many loaded touring bikes falling over outside shops etc that I changed my mind....i think the trick may be to 'lock' the front brake as well as use a stand so the front wheel doesnt roll...?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
harve said:
Hi All.......Can any one direct me to a good and light weight bike stand (i have a galaxy).........I am fed up with looking for walls, trees, post boxes, on my tours and so on.........I am reasonably new to cycle touring and tend to just pack my bags and go without any planning, but this problem needs fixing !...........

It's not a problem.

I've yet to tour where there's nothing to lean my bike against and I don't want to crush the chain stay tubing of my Galaxy's frame in the event of a bike stand malfunction.

Do you really need a stand?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
..mind you it is annoying when you are busting for a piss and there isnt anywhere to lean the bike against.

As long as you are stnding to urinate your bike has you to lean against and in return it offers some shielding against prying eyes.

OP
OP
H

harve

Hmmmmm.......Interesting, thanks for your quick replies ! you may have a point, do i really need one, i will check the links out thou.....maybe i am just being a lazy git !........although its handy when you want to mess with your bags.....

CycleTourer

Veteran
vernon said:
It's not a problem.

I've yet to tour where there's nothing to lean my bike against and I don't want to crush the chain stay tubing of my Galaxy's frame in the event of a bike stand malfunction.

Do you really need a stand?

I can think of plenty of places we have toured where there hasn't been a thing to lean a bike on! Iceland and Northern Lapland quickly spring to mind. Wouldn't be without one, so useful when you want to quickly park your bike for pee, take photos etc. Also very useful for loading the bike at the campsite.

Once you use one you will will miss it if its not there.

Yes I have had them fall over occasionally, usually due to wind, but there hasn't been any damage to the bike apart from a bit of dirt on the panniers if it was muddy.

We have been through plenty of stands though as there are some absolutely rubbish ones out there that are not up to the job of a laden touring bike. Creamcrackered mentioned the Hebie stands, they are one of the best although they do eventually fail due to the use of plastic moldings in the mechanism. My current one is a Hebie that I have rebuilt and reinforced myself.

Bigtallfatbloke

BTFB great track, are you singing/ playing?

I am playing the guitars. The drummmer is also the singer and the keyboard player did the bass as well. The track was all mixed on line in cycberspace, we never actually met each other to record this.

friedel

We don't have stands on our bikes and often just laid them down on the ground where we couldn't find something to lean them against. Then a friend showed us the very simple idea of using your pedal against a raised curb to prop the bike up! Okay, it's not going to help you everywhere but you can stand your bike up without a kickstand anywhere there's a raised sidewalk. Works in a treat in almost any town or car park.

friedel said:
We don't have stands on our bikes and often just laid them down on the ground where we couldn't find something to lean them against. Then a friend showed us the very simple idea of using your pedal against a raised curb to prop the bike up! Okay, it's not going to help you everywhere but you can stand your bike up without a kickstand anywhere there's a raised sidewalk. Works in a treat in almost any town or car park.

My father was the first to show me how to stand a bike up when I was about 6 years old - that'll be around 1951. Fashions just go around and around.:eek:

Top Bottom