Bike stand ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Remember that you should clamp the seatpost rather the frame.

The points on the frame where you are likely to clamp (top tube and seat tube) are going to be the weakest points of the tubing. This is probably far more relevant on higher end aluminium and steel and particularly on carbon fibre, but it's just good practice - it's no coincidence that this is how mechanics in shops mount bikes on the stands (including their own).

Yes - but not all projects start with a seat post...

Scousegaz

Look on ebay for the
HOME MECHANIC FOLDING BIKE CYCLE REPAIR STAND

I'm expecting mine tomorrow, looks like a very good strong sturdy stand with very functional and adjustable clamps etc at a great price

:thumbsup:

monnet

Guru
Yes - but not all projects start with a seat post...

Old seat post goes into frame, clamp seat post to stand. Hey presto stops cosmetic and structural damage to tubing.

Of course, if you've not got an old one lying around, there's a certain inevitability about needing a seatpost so it's hardly a false economy to buy one at the outset.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Old seat post goes into frame, clamp seat post to stand. Hey presto stops cosmetic and structural damage to tubing.

Of course, if you've not got an old one lying around, there's a certain inevitability about needing a seatpost so it's hardly a false economy to buy one at the outset.

Erm, I really didn't think it would be necessary to go into this much detail but... I have a frame which requires a 31.6mm seat post and a donor bike with a different sized seat post. I have a pile of bits and 3 complete bikes but I don't have a 31.6mm seat post, if I had one it would be in the frame by now and clamped to the work stand. I haven't bought a new seat post because I'm not sure if it's worthwhile spending money on additional components. (I'm looking at a couple of hundred for new forks and if I spend that much I'd probably want to have the frame bead blasted and resprayed.) I may just end up taking the whole lot down to the skip. If I do take it to the skip I won't need a seat post. But, in the meantime, I'll hang the frame (carefully) by the cross bar while I'm considering my options and making up my mind. Of course, if I were to screw down the clamp real tight and bork the tubing then my problem would be solved!

Top Bottom