Bike stolen at sportive registration by thief dressed as cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry for your losses but I have to say it is a little bit naive to leave both your bikes unattended even at a Sportive which is where I definitely would NOT leave a bike unattended.

400bhp

Guru
Sorry for your losses but I have to say it is a little bit naive to leave both your bikes unattended even at a Sportive which is where I definitely would NOT leave a bike unattended.

To be fair he would have been the exception to the rule if it was locked.

I've heard of a similar story at a popular cyclist cafe too.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
see capitol punishment for bike thieves is called for, and the method? hog tied and sat in a bin full of maggots the fed and watered untill eaten alive. but im really sick grrrrr

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Yes, I'm definitely naive. The place was awash with unlocked bikes, but I guess he was keeping an eye out for one he was sure was unattended. Lesson learned.

I was there yesterday and left my bike unattended when I went to sign in and have a wee. So did a lot of other people from what I could see. Especially if you are on your own.

Dog, what did the event organisers say? If this is the way things are, events need to cater for this so that you can sign on have a wee etc without leaving your bike. I doubt there was even enough room to lock up all the bikes at this event.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's getting quite common for bikes to get stolen like this. Best option is to leave the bike in the car, then register on foot. All depends upon where you get parked. Or ride to registration, d-lock or even one of the cheap cable locks for the bike and then drop the lock off at the car. The thief won't usually be coming tooled up, they will blend in, walk upto a bike and off with it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hope you get the bike back Dog thats real bad luck.

I doubt that the vast majority of sporetive riders would carry a lock.

I am amazed on Audax rides to see dozens of high end bikes just leaning against the wall outside cafe controls etc.
I use a very light cheap combination wire lock which could be broken with a swiss army pen knife but makes my bike harder to nick than most of the rest.

Mickthemove

Über Member
One day, one of these toe rags will get caught in the act at a sportive and have 80 or so riders beating the living out of them, in the meantime i have brought a small cable lock that weighs nearly naff all and is only level 1 but will be enough deterrent for a grab and go thief like these herberts.

fingers crossed he gets caught and your bike is recovered

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
The organisers were apologetic, but what could they do, really? They gave me my £20 entry fee back..

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I volunteered at the Barnard Castle control of London Edinburgh London.

Most riders left their bikes unlocked while they went into the control for food, drink, rest, a wash, and even sleep, so some were there several hours.

The control was at a school and the bikes were 'round the back', but access was wide open.

The location of the control was, of course, published in advance and it wouldn't have taken a watching thief more than a few minutes to spy out the lie of the land.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
2775329 said:
Yeah but, nick a bike with a Brooks saddle and Carradice bag on it?

Aye, there were a quite few steel audaxers.

But also some carbon, a couple of Brommies and most things in between.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
This is the 3rd instance of that I've heard of in the last few weeks.
The scumbags have cottoned onto this scam for easy pickings, be careful out there!

I am surprised its taken this long for them to start doing it, every time I am at one of these mass events I think just how easy it is to walk off with a bike if your dressed in cycle attire, as no one is really looking and everyone leaves bikes outside etc on trust.
I will be taking a lock from now on, to put the scum off walking away with mine.

Top Bottom