Bike stolen at sportive registration by thief dressed as cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
In case anyone needs that bit of extra incentive to be vigilant, I had my bike stolen at this morning's Redbridge sportive. My friend and I left our bikes among a sea of cyclists to register. Came back and my bike and his Garmin were missing. CCTV showed a guy with a black cycling jacket, helmet and tights riding it to the car park, packing it in the boot, and driving off. Gutted.

http://stolen-bikes.co.uk/stolen-bikes/2010-canyon-ultimate-cf-slx/

I don't know why that picture is upside down. It was the right way up when I took it.

Booyaa

Veteran
Perhaps a daft question but did the CCTV manage to pivk up the number plate of the car?

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
No, it was a CCTV potato. not much use at all, really. It was a black saloon, perhaps a Vectra or a Mondeo, or a Laguna, or a Audi A4. Really couldn't see much of anything.

This is the 3rd instance of thia I've heard of in the last few weeks.

I can't remember the first but a Cervelo and a Dogma were nicked from outside Cobridge Community Centre which was the registration point for the Rourkes Cat & Fiddle Challenge at the end of October.

The scumbags have cottoned onto this scam for easy pickings, be careful out there!

Linford

Perhaps a letter to the organisers to redesign the registration area to allow the riders taking part to actually keep their bikes with them through the process.

Hard luck mister. I know you pain :sad:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Canyon can probably give you the frame number which you may need for identification purposes.

Let's hope you do need it, very few stolen bikes are recovered, but some are.

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
It's been a bad year for me and two wheeled vehicles. Had my Suzuki stolen at Christmas, broke my Marin and my Planet X, now this. Can't complain, though, still got my health. Mostly.

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Canyon can probably give you the frame number which you may need for identification purposes.

Let's hope you do need it, very few stolen bikes are recovered, but some are.

I've just found the serial number on the receipt. Going to add it to the thing now... And turn that photograph the right way up :S

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I did wonder about these things. I turn up to these sportives with my £150 MTB and park it next to hundreds of very expensive road bikes all unlocked just ripe to take home,
its only cos' I could never live with myself that I don't just help myself to anyone of those fine steeds,
I'm sorry it been taken,
but do wonder how much these bikes are worth to people, to leave it unattended and unlocked!

Linford

I've just found the serial number on the receipt. Going to add it to the thing now...

Do searches in Ebay under your account name, and log in regularly to check if it has been listed. Also you can set up google search notifications which will scan for keywords and email you every now and again.

This is my story. I got my bike back in July - 2 1/2 years after it was stolen because of Ebay remembering my search queries when it got nicked.

Good luck in getting it back.

PK99

Legendary Member
In case anyone needs that bit of extra incentive to be vigilant, I had my bike stolen at this morning's Redbridge sportive. My friend and I left our bikes among a sea of cyclists to register. Came back and my bike and his Garmin were missing. CCTV showed a guy with a black cycling jacket, helmet and tights riding it to the car park, packing it in the boot, and driving off. Gutted.

http://stolen-bikes.co.uk/stolen-bikes/2010-canyon-ultimate-cf-slx/

I don't know why that picture is upside down. It was the right way up when I took it.

Why are you surprised?

There is a very active market in stolen bikes on e-bay/gumtree/brick lane. I NEVER leave my bike unlocked anywhere, no matter how short a time I am leaving it. A neighbour here in leafy safe SW19 went in through her front door, out the back door, opened her side gate to bring her bike in - it had gone! Mine comes in through the front door with me! For the same reason, while a very active sports & fitness rider I do zero utility cycling because of the hassles of multiple locks etc

Top Bottom