Friends reunited

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

No, not that place, I mean me and my roadie :becool: . It was so rare, that after being out of my posession for 2 1/2 years after one of the local 'steal to order' cycle thieves had it away, it came back up on Ebay, and was recovered by the local force (you just can't imagine the way I felt when they said 'come and get it' :becool: ). A couple of weeks of fiddling, fettling and swapping bits back over to get it to fit my frame again to where i feel comfortable on it, and I am once again riding it almost daily (did 20 miles yesterday evening on it).
Anyway, onward and upward (again)

2a97k35.jpg

Hip Priest

Veteran
That's brilliant news! Chuffed for you.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

The worst part of losing it was the fact that I had actually only got it back 24 hours before after another 2 1/2 year absence....and hadn't had a chance to get it back on cover so total loss.
I bought it new from a LBS, taken ages to find it, rode it for about a year, and then got ill...lost the will to do any form of exercise and so it sat in the garage. workmate offered me a sum I couldn't refuse for it, and then regretted it terribly. I replaced it with a hybrid, but really didn't gel with it, and then nagged the guy I bought it off to sell it back. He had a clipless moment on it, found it was too twitchy, and so decided to swap them over...at which point I got it back.. and then it was pinched. Sure there are nicer bikes out there, but this one was mine and I was deesperate to get it back. It lives in the house now and is well insured. It is just great getting back into it. The loaner Cannondale MTB just wasn't the same.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Not sure what is most shocking, the fact you got it back after all that time, or the fact you actually own or indeed ride a bike O.o

I've owned and ridden loads over the years, but this is by far my favourite bike. Possibly because I stretched a bit to get it, certainly because it was a 'fitted' bike for my frame, and I test rode about 10 different makes and models before I decided to get it.
I've always favoured 2 wheels, the PTW has a massive draw due to what it is and what it does (massive performance, and sharp handling), but riding the roadie is very satisfying, and is winning the popularity stakes for me by a respectable margin ATM.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Brill news. Great to hear good news stories.
Did the boys in blue get the thieves or had it changed hands too many times to trace it back to them?

I know who pinched it as I ID'd him the following day in the street going into his house, but proving it was another matter. He probably sold it for a big bag of weed. The person selling it on the bay was a fairly respectable sort of chap as I was leadd to believe, and signed it over when it was verified that it was indeed my bike which was stolen in a break in. His loss, but apparently he was going back to the person
who he got it from to 'extract' something. It still went for good money in the auction, and just fortuitous on my part that I saw it in the listings before the end of it (Ebay remembers you old searches if that item comes up and show them too you when you log in)

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Hope the thieves kept it clean and polished

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm still nervous about riding the bike I found dumped in a river and took to the Police, who gave it back to me a month later. I half expect sombody to shout: "Oi! That's my bike!"

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 2621139, member: 45"]What happens in the scenario where the insurance company pay out and you get your bike back 2 years later?[/quote]

In the event of a payout and subsequent recovery, the title belongs to the insurance company. Becaause in my instance there was no cover, I never relinquished the claim/right of ownership. I'm not sure what happens i the event of the no claims bonus though as if the insurance company don't make 100% payout to the value or agreed value, then they can't claim that the bike is 100% theirs.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I'm still nervous about riding the bike I found dumped in a river and took to the Police, who gave it back to me a month later. I half expect sombody to shout: "Oi! That's my bike!"

There is always that risk. However, I always thought that my bikes value was too high for it to be ridden and trashed, and that it would have either been broken for the sum of its parts, or sold complete.
My neighbour had his carbon Cube pinched a couple of weeks later, but he had cover on it, and they are as common as nowadays. Theyreckoned that only about 3 of my particular model were sold in the county before they moved to the TCR model.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Ultimately, my advice would be never give up hope, take loads of pictures of the bike and you as well as serial numbers, and then do searches on ebay regularly. Their system remebers these, and will flag up if something of that description gets listed on your home page. The police were brilliant, and responded quickly.

Top Bottom