Bike storage at work... who's liable for damage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hypothetical question.

We used to store our bikes in the boiler room, but apparently we can't because of H&S so we've been storing them in the staff canteen until today.

Now the area manager says we have to store them in the warehouse where they'll be more at risk to damage from day to day work going on around them. The next time i see the area manager I'll share my concerns with him and make it perfectly clear that if my bike has to be stored in the warehouse, it's stored at my employers risk rather than my own... question is, where does the liability actually lie?

Drago

Legendary Member
Why is the warehouse considered a less risky storage arrangement than the boiler room?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
How busy is the warehouse? Where's it being stored?

When I worked in one the agreement was that the bike would go into a quiet storage area away from the main access.

Liability-wise it's probably not down to them I'm afraid, just as a car in the car park isn't.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

How busy is the warehouse? Where's it being stored?

When I worked in one the agreement was that the bike would go into a quiet storage area away from the main access.

Liability-wise it's probably not down to them I'm afraid, just as a car in the car park isn't.
there's nowhere out of the way in the warehouse. It's very small and as xmas approaches, we can barely fit all the stock in it.

They're best stored in the boiler room, out of the way, safe and secure.
If I'm forced to store it where it might get damaged and it does get damaged, I'll be putting a claim in and we'll see what happens. Hopefully, having a word with the area manager and pointing out that a buckled wheel will cost £100 and a damaged frame will cost upwards of £1500 will stop him from being a nobber. He likes flexing his managerial muscles every now and than, and this is just another one of his moments.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Almost definitely. You could ask for a dedicated storage facility. Probably the least an employer could do, especially if they have a car park.
They can't even park cars in the car park, that's for customers. The drivers park in the car park of a restaurant next door:wacko:
No chance of a dedicated storage facility. The shop's being knocked down next year. Hopefully the new store will have something better.

Slick

Guru
there's nowhere out of the way in the warehouse. It's very small and as xmas approaches, we can barely fit all the stock in it.

They're best stored in the boiler room, out of the way, safe and secure.
If I'm forced to store it where it might get damaged and it does get damaged, I'll be putting a claim in and we'll see what happens. Hopefully, having a word with the area manager and pointing out that a buckled wheel will cost £100 and a damaged frame will cost upwards of £1500 will stop him from being a nobber. He likes flexing his managerial muscles every now and than, and this is just another one of his moments.
How often is the area manager in? :whistle:

Slick

Guru
They can't even park cars in the car park, that's for customers. The drivers park in the car park of a restaurant next door:wacko:
No chance of a dedicated storage facility. The shop's being knocked down next year. Hopefully the new store will have something better.
Ah, my manager tried to take my storage spot off me at my workplace a while back, but he's gone now and I'm the boss now. :becool:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Not so. We are under very strict instructions from the fire service and the independant fire assessors, that boilerhouses are not to be used as storage and they take a very dim view on anything being stored in there, whether flammable or not.
the boiler room is also the cleaning cupboard, and is also the access to the secure storage room. We do have random visits from some H&S bods who point out this and that. To my knowledge they've never had issue with the boiler room being a cleaning cupboard or stuff being stored in there... only the area manager seems to have that issue.

tom73

Guru
Have you had a quiet word with the safety rep? Can't see them being happy with bike cluttering up the work place.
Making it known the cost of damage to your bike maybe coming his way may move him.
If not sowing the idea of a claim for injury if someone got injured by them being left on the shop floor at his instruction may well focus the mind.

Top Bottom