Bike storage help - Annoyed.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

So i have a new carbon bike and have done exactly one ride on it. I go to adjust the saddle height in the garage today and noticed there is now a scratch about 3 quarter of an inch long on the rear triangle. I know scratches are going to happen but am most annoyed as i didn't do it and the bike is so new.

I can only store my bike in the garage and unfortunately whilst i am very careful storing my bikes to avoid damage when others go in the garage and move stuff about they aren't quite so careful and i think this is whats happened (of course no one knows how it has happened). Someone had scrapped something up against the frame resulting in the scratch (will need to cover with some clear nail polish to protect the scratch me thinks). I'm thinking i need to be more proactive and find some type of protection for the bike. I have considered a bike bag or cover. I don't want to have to dismantle the bike every time (which i would need to do with a bag) but a cover doesn't seem to offer much protection. Can people recommend any solutions they have used a sort of middle ground?

If you keep your bike in the garage, you should be able to protect well enough if you throw an old thick blanket over it. Or try hanging it up on the wall or from the ceiling.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

If you keep your bike in the garage, you should be able to protect well enough if you throw an old thick blanket over it. Or try hanging it up on the wall or from the ceiling.

Well you'd think wouldn't you. It is covered with a blanket anyway but didn't stop the damage occurring somehow, unfortunately whilst the garage is big with all the tools in it there is no wall space for me to hang on the wall and still be able to get it out easily when i want to ride it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I did see them advertised when looking online and thought they looked interesting if not a tad costly. Was wondering if they would be ok and bike insurance would payout if someone broke into one.
I'd say far more secure than a garage. There are no exposed locks etc. Yes, you could take steel cutting equipment to it. Also I'd say it's not really obvious that it's a bike store

Best £1000 I've spent (I had to get a concrete base installed for it). I was very impressed by the product and the fitting process. I keep 4 adult bikes in mine, I secure them together with a heavy duty Kryptonite chain, not really needed but I'd bought it so may as well use

I actually think they are very good value for what they are compared to alternatives. Only your insurers will be able to tell you if covered, but I really can't see why not, having all sorts of accreditations

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/metal-storage-accreditations

Unfortunately, it's extremely hard to avoid scratching a bike, now it's happened, you won't be so upset next time

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Unfortunately, it's extremely hard to avoid scratching a bike, now it's happened, you won't be so upset next time

Thanks for your feedback always interesting to hear from people who's actually installed and used a product. I know bike will get scratched and i have no problem with it but i get annoyed when someone else does it rather than me. But hey thats life i guess.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your feedback always interesting to hear from people who's actually installed and used a product. I know bike will get scratched and i have no problem with it but i get annoyed when someone else does it rather than me. But hey thats life i guess.
Presumably it was a family member?

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can get your entire frame covered with helicopter tape. Google will give you names, I'm sure.

LocalLad

Do you need everything that is in the garage? I only ask because mine was bursting at the seams. I spent Friday sorting it out, added a couple of shelves and a few trips to the tip, and now it's almost empty. The trick was getting everything off the floor.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Presumably it was a family member?

Well i'm guessing it was as no one else goes in the garage. Problem is my dad used to run a garage and all his workshop tools are stored in there meaning very little room for anything else and plenty of sharp objects to cause scratches. I do have a wooden shed which have my mountain bikes stored in but after some thieving so and so decided to take it on themselves to relieve me of a couple of bike a few years ago so i'm very reluctant to store my expensive road bike in the shed i'd rather keep it in a brick build building for security or possibly a purpose made metal store as you suggested before.

vickster

Legendary Member
Or keep it in the house :smile: I got the Asgard to get the bikes out of the house (and so I could get #4). However, when I'm actually able to ride, there is routinely a bike in my lounge, just because it is easier if I'm riding regularly

They're all locked away for a few months at the mo :sad:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Bit of a faff, but you could cut lengths of pipe insulation to slip on when storing the bike? Maybe 22mm or 28mm for main tubes, 15mm for rear triangle.
My Spa tourer now has the top tube protected by some 22mm after damage from a falling tool. Just wish I'd thought of it before the damage.

Katherine

Guru
You say it would be hard to get the bike out the easily if you hang it up. But you could still get it out?
Mr K isn't a cyclist so he doesn't care how hard it is for me to get my bike out but does care if anyone scratches his car with their bike. So it is near the wall and his car paraphernalia and very awkward to get out but I still do it. It has a sheet over it and a towel between it and my old bike.
It might be worth reorganising the garage slightly to make it easier for the family to access whatever it is they were doing when your bike got scratched.

Top Bottom