Bike storage solutions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Another delightful side effect of my deteriorating domestic situation is that I'll no longer be able to store the bikes in the house; instead being relegated to a relatively small stone shed / outbuilding. This also has other purposes and space is extremely limited. No direct floor space will be available so I'm looking at wall and ceiling-based approaches to accommodate three bikes.

I can't be arsed to list all the dims but have a somewhat "free" wall and 3m ceiling to play with. Current favourite is one of the pedal-anchored approaches (like this one on ebay). I'm hoping I can stack them tight vertically to get three in inside 2m and retain 1m beneath for access to benches. I notice some don't have the shelves for the wheels; while I prefer these in principal I appreciate how changes in crank length / BB drop and wheel/tyre size will change the necessary relative position of the shelves and pedal hangers.. which puts me off somewhat.

The only other viable approach I can see is to hang them from the ceiling; although I'm not too keen on this if they're vertical as they'll be quite close to my head, this method somehow seems less secure and may interfere with the lighting in there. I could probably accommodate two on the ceiling if they were flat against the ceiling; but I'm not sure how I'd achieve this without a lot of faffing about.

Anyway, as usual I'd welcome any thoughts or experinces anyone might have :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
folding wall mount, you can get 2 bikes on em if you 'top and tail' them and if mounted high enough plenty of room underneath.

1602771211036.png

Argos do em at £12.99

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the folding wall mount will only take two bikes and I doubt I'd have room for a second mount / third bike beneath.

Hanging vertically perpendicular to the wall is going to take up about 1m of floorspace from the wall, so is a non-starter I'm afraid... although tipping them in a smilar manner to as in this image seems like an efficient approach; although I'd be concerned about them flapping about and damaging each other.

Homemade-Bike-Racks.jpg

I like the idea of arranging them like the DaHanger pedal-hung setup..

MG_8625_b381ecf1-dd94-4f21-bb3a-71636f2e424c_2000x.jpg

... however as per my OP I don't like the way their mounting points are somewhat specific to the bike. I'm wondering about installing some continuous lengths of channel section wood for the wheels to sit in and retaining the bikes with a length of rope above each to secure to the top tube maybe... this would be relatively easy to execute, more tolerant of different bikes and would allow some shuffling about to get the best fit between bikes..

Lookrider

Pre lockdown I bought on impulse 7 wheel type hangars and 7 triangular hangars from bikedocksolutions as the tyre sits in the frame and prevents damage to the rims ...
Both take up floor space as you know
As I had them on a wall plywood template attempting to get as tight as possible...I eventually opted for the pedal grips ...they look fab hing up and are easy to get on or off
The rd bikes can interchange easily but the mtb are a bit different as the geometry if each one is really different ...if you want 3 bikes on a wall you will have to make sure the pedal grips will hang the bike at 30 °as opposed to 20° for 2 bikes
You will need 2300mm floor to top off saddle to get the 3rd bike off
I have 3 rd bikes on there but one is away at service
I have 5 triangular tyre hangars from bike dock solution for sale now complete with wall bolts as they git no further than the temporary ply template
I would strongly advise to get slatwall from empty shops and do out your garage...no more endless drilling into walls to find out it's on the wrong place as soon as the wall plug is in

Attachments

• 20201015_213501.jpg
    20201015_213501.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201015_213452.jpg
    20201015_213452.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201015_213440.jpg
    20201015_213440.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Pre lockdown I bought on impulse 7 wheel type hangars and 7 triangular hangars from bikedocksolutions as the tyre sits in the frame and prevents damage to the rims ...
Both take up floor space as you know
As I had them on a wall plywood template attempting to get as tight as possible...I eventually opted for the pedal grips ...they look fab hing up and are easy to get on or off
The rd bikes can interchange easily but the mtb are a bit different as the geometry if each one is really different ...if you want 3 bikes on a wall you will have to make sure the pedal grips will hang the bike at 30 °as opposed to 20° for 2 bikes
You will need 2300mm floor to top off saddle to get the 3rd bike off
I have 3 rd bikes on there but one is away at service
I have 5 triangular tyre hangars from bike dock solution for sale now complete with wall bolts as they git no further than the temporary ply template
I would strongly advise to get slatwall from empty shops and do out your garage...no more endless drilling into walls to find out it's on the wrong place as soon as the wall plug is in
Thanks - that looks grand and was just the sort of info I was after; really apprecaite you supplying some numbers :smile:

So where are you finding the clearance is limited to dictate the minimum spacing between the bikes; clerance between the handlebars of lower bike and the fork of the one above? I was wondering if they could be compressed a bit more vertically if the middle bike was offset to an extent forward or backward relative to those above and below.

The relative spacing of multple bikes is certainly not an easy thing to get one's head around!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
These, work a treat and with a bit of planning you can top and tail bikes quite tightly....and that's one hell of a deal!

Lookrider

The 3 rd bikes you can see are separated with a good 50mm clearance...I did have then tighter together but you would never get 4 on a standard 2400mm wall
So I spread them apart a little
If you staggered them this would make only a little difference as the handle bars of the lower bike will fowl not the fork ..but the wheel or the frame or BB or pedals
They will get tighter ...but it means that you also have to lift the 2and and 3rd bike HIGHER to clear the bike in front.that also means you cannot get them high to the roof

..staggering them and the space gained by getting tighter would not be noticed too great. And you loose space length wise
I started with a bike up against the roof and worked down but the last bike was only off the floor a few inches
And remember you need wheel stoppers to prevent the bikes spinning a little
So I then started at the bottom with a bike wheels flat on garage floor and worked up the way
I strongly recommend you secure wood patterns to the wall as a template 1st or you will have drill holes all over ...get the correct measurements then remove the template and secure the pedal hooks
The photo show the size between each pedal hook and top to bottom centre to centre is 2300mm
No doubt your bikes geometry will be different. Q factor crank sizes etc but again I think that will not be a factor in the final look as they all appear even to the naked eye
You can easily measure the height of hook from floor to 12o/c pedal and the lenght is simple from front wheel to BB
My 6 bikes all have different pedals that fit the hooks ok
I never went to the dan hooks as I thought they were well over engineered which results in extra cost ....theres a good video on dan hangar showing how a cheaper one is not holding a sand bag...however a bike is nowhere near the weight of that
Drop a note through empty shops asking for slatwall ...you find you get some in no time ..faster if you gave a managed shopping centre where they own all the empty shops
Any more questions and I try to help
Just to remind ..the mtb are totally different to arrange neatly

Attachments

• 20201016_131419.jpg
    20201016_131419.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201016_131419.jpg
    20201016_131419.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201016_131331.jpg
    20201016_131331.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 7