Bike thief caught on CCTV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
A lady was in a local shop and this toe rag nicked her bike. The shop owner post this on Facebook.

View: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WinchesterRants/permalink/1667179360155780/

They have set up a GoFundMe appeal to get her bike replaced.

I don't really do Facemuck and it appears to be a closed group, well away from my neck of the woods but as always i hope for a positive outcome. :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Great, now it's on Facebook any potential identificaion won't comply with the rather onerous mandatory guidance governing identifications from visual evidence laid out in Code D of PACE. In other words, even if someone can name Johnny Scumbag the police now cannot use the information.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
FB page not available/private group, but I get the gist of it..
No excuse for the theft, but to not lock it is inviting trouble!

Chris S

Legendary Member
He's a local beggar. He will have to find a new spot now.

screen.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Not unexpected to have it stolen if its not locked. The GoFund me page is a bit like rewarding bad behaviour 😁

RichardB

Slightly retro
Not unexpected to have it stolen if its not locked. The GoFund me page is a bit like rewarding bad behaviour 😁

Let's say you left your house unlocked and someone walked in and stole all your money.

a) The thief is in the wrong because stealing is a crime.

b) You are in the wrong because you left your house unlocked.

I can remember a time when most people would have said 'a'. Nowadays, it seems that a lot of people say 'b'. I think that's a pity.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Let's say you left your house unlocked and someone walked in and stole all your money.

a) The thief is in the wrong because stealing is a crime.

b) You are in the wrong because you left your house unlocked.

I can remember a time when most people would have said 'a'. Nowadays, it seems that a lot of people say 'b'. I think that's a pity.

I think most people would still say 'a' in all fairness... But crime prevention just seems a sensible. Walking into an unlocked house and helping yourself to other peoples belongings is still a crime...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm inclined to agree with you @RichardB but there is a degree of personal responsibility required.

It's a bit like those religious people who blame all bad things on God's will. No, bad things happen because you may have made some bad decisions.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I think most people would still say 'a' in all fairness... But crime prevention just seems a sensible. Walking into an unlocked house and helping yourself to other peoples belongings is still a crime...
I'm inclined to agree with you @RichardB but there is a degree of personal responsibility required.

It's a bit like those religious people who blame all bad things on God's will. No, bad things happen because you may have made some bad decisions.

Sure, agreed. I try to take care of my stuff, and I would kick myself first and foremost if anything went missing like this. My responsibility to look after my stuff, right? But I still think we have moved too far from blaming the criminal to blaming the victim. If the Daily Mail goes with 'short skirt, she was asking for it' we are outraged with the victim-blaming, quite rightly. But when someone gets a bike stolen, it's 'well, she should have locked it up.' Which is it, because you can't have both?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Sure, agreed. I try to take care of my stuff, and I would kick myself first and foremost if anything went missing like this. My responsibility to look after my stuff, right? But I still think we have moved too far from blaming the criminal to blaming the victim. If the Daily Mail goes with 'short skirt, she was asking for it' we are outraged with the victim-blaming, quite rightly. But when someone gets a bike stolen, it's 'well, she should have locked it up.' Which is it, because you can't have both?
Thats quite a wide escalation from petty crime to a serious heinous crime. We're talking about a couple hundred quid bike which would have still been there if it had a lock. That being said I fully sympathise with her and hope for a positive outcome.

Top Bottom