Bike to get me interested again..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been on a few but the top speed is only 15 or 16 MPH, after about 5 minutes I found I wanted to go faster. If it was me wanting one of them I'd get a 125 motorbike/moped instead.

Then get a moped. We are talking cycling here. Cycling doesn't have to be fast all the time.

Reactions: mjr

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
15-16 is a good speed if you aren't capable of pedalling faster. If you can pedal faster, then do so !

You've got most bikes covered mate already, so unless it's 'different' it's unlikely to motivate you. You've got the CX which actually fits the bill of what you 'want'.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You can get more than 15mph out of them. I was getting 19mph 20mph and I am sure someone else could have got more..15mph was the max you could get with the throttle control only, and that has now been reduced on all new bikes to 4mph, walking speed. It's all down to EU regulations.

There is an ebike forum called pedalecs. Have a look and ask them questions. There are quite a few ebike distributors on there and they are more than happy fo answer your questions as are the members.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No shame in that Pots.
E-Bikes are really good now and are getting better. As I put on another thread, cycling with @Pale Rider who was on a E-bike has changed my perception of them. If it make cycling easier and more fun for you then they are a no brainer.
Yeah but, if Potsy has fallen out of love with cycling an Ebike will not help either.
All folks I know including @Pale Rider use an Ebike to make the activity easier for them, they do like cycling to start with though.
@potsy has a car: he does not need to cycle if not for pleasure.
After my recent tour (8 days, a lot for me!) I was really sick of the sight of all my bikes, but I have no car, so had to woman up :laugh: or face a daily 3 hours commute on public transport.
Potsy, don't buy anymore bikes, take up walking or swimming for exercise, or even ballroom dancing ^_^
I'm sure you can still post on here :smooch:

welsh dragon

I was told it had to be 15/16 miles per hour to make it road legal At the Birmingham bike show by a guy who was selling them, you obviously may be able to mess about with them/derestrict them and get more out of the bike
Yeah its 15.5 MPH for 2016 in the U.K, I just looked it up.

I think most adults unless they are ill or have a disability should be able to manage that cycling regularily. These bikes are also much heavier than a normal bike because of the battery.

15.6 is the max you can get from the pedal.assist, but add your own own input pedal wise and you can boost that a lot. Of course they are heavier, they have a motor.and a battery that weighs about 2.5 kilo. But they weight is not a problem... and there are some new bikes that weigh around 14 kilo.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
15.6 is the max you can get from the pedal.assist, but add your own own input pedal wise and you can boost that a lot. Of course they are heavier, they have a motor.and a battery that weighs about 2.5 kilo. But they weight is not a problem... and there are some new bikes that weigh around 14 kilo.
Yes, it's about making it a bit easier, not an alternative to pedalling. If fitness is a problem for some reason, an e-bike can be a good step to getting fitter again without cutting the rides back to a much smaller orbit than you may be used to. The main drawbacks at the moment are the battery range, the recharging time/difficulty and that British Cycling ban them from all their listed charity rides (which is just nasty when it means someone overcoming an illness or disability ends up banned from a fundraising event for the charity that supported them).

welsh dragon

Yes, it's about making it a bit easier, not an alternative to pedalling. If fitness is a problem for some reason, an e-bike can be a good step to getting fitter again without cutting the rides back to a much smaller orbit than you may be used to. The main drawbacks at the moment are the battery range, the recharging time/difficulty and that British Cycling ban them from all their listed charity rides (which is just nasty when it means someone overcoming an illness or disability ends up banned from a fundraising event for the charity that supported them).

I didn't know that. Thats ridiculousl.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was going to raise the possibility of an ebike in fun, but since the idea might be being taken semi-seriously, @potsy's budget would get him something decent.

The Cube in the link has the Bosch crank drive motor, which is very like ordinary cycling, only easier.

No throttle, so if you don't pedal, you don't go.

It has speed, cadence and torque sensors, so responds to the effort you put in.

The bike is ridden just like an ordinary bike, you change down and pedal a bit harder for hills and head winds.

Fully road legal, so the assist cuts out at about 15.5mph - there's couple of mph tolerance in the regulations.

Above that, you are on your own.

The crank system has no resistance, so all you have to propel is the extra weight.

Cruising in favourable conditions above 15mph is doable, and when you drop below, the motor cuts back in seamlessly so it's possible to make smooth and swiftish progress.

The Cube has the bigger 500wh battery, range is very much a piece of string question depending on conditions and which assistance level you demand from the motor.

Tour setting - level two of four - is a reasonable compromise between range and assistance and should give between 40 and 50 miles.

http://www.cube.eu/en/products/e-bi...oss-hybrid-race-allroad-500-blackngreen-2016/

Top Bottom