Bike Tyre Loading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ushills

Veteran
I pumped the tyres up to a level where the tyre only slightly deflectson the bottom, I figured that would be better than having rock hard tires (perhaps I am wrong?), I couldnt get a good reading from the pressure gauge but the tyres were significantly under inflated which was the problem, not got a chance to take it for a ride yet but looking forward to getting out there. Is there a preffered pump and means of measuring the pressure amongst cyclists ?

A bit of give is perfect. Rock hard may be fine on a track but you will get best rolling resistance on tarmac roads with a bit of give as you don't want to be bouncing over every chipping.

With 28's I have my front at 75psi and the rear at 85 to 90.

pollyongo

Hello all, been looking through the forum and this looks like a great site !!

I have a question that I hope someone can give me some advice on please.

My wife has bought me a bike as a surprise for my birthday as I have been meaning to get one for a while.

She bought me a Giant Seek 3 which on the surface is a very nice bike but I noticed the tyres sort of went flat when I sat on the bike, I looked at the tyre to obtain the pressure I noticed that the tyre has a max loading of 70 kg (11 Stone), if this is the case then then I am too heavy for this Bike/Tyre and my wife has either wasted her money or I will need to by new higher rated tyres/wheels, worst case scenario I will have to sell the bike and buy one that is more suitable.

Does the fact that the riders weight is distributed over the two wheels mean a max load of 140 kg? and I need to pump the tyres up (not checked the pressure in the tyres yet as I dont have a means of measuring this)

Many thanks for reading this

Regards

Taff

Hiya Taff,
My bike has the same max load 70kgs on the rear tyre and I have been wondering what it means too. From what I gather from around the internet a bicycle can carry double that as it is the load spread between the two tyres.
I lost my handbook and wanted to know the pressure to blow my tyres up to but only found the information actually on the tyre when someone on you tube said to look on the tyre lol. Mine is min 40psi and max 65psi written just below the max load 70kgs, how much air to put in depends on your weight as that effects the tyre shape as you go round corners I think.
I never thought I would get back on two wheels but I had a ride on my boyfriends e-bike and loved it. I hardly use the car anymore except for trips over 10 to 15 miles. Got my e-bike off ebay new for £400, it's collapsable and in 6 months has almost paid for itself in saved fuel. I'm a good deal fitter too, I like to take it easy but use gears in low power as much as I can. I'm hooked now, enjoying riding even more than I used too when that was the only transport I could afford.
Love,
Polly. xx

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
Welcome to Cycle Chat @pollyongo :welcome:
Just to make you aware that you responded on a thread from 2013, you might not get many responses.
The poster you are quoting has not logged in since 2013.
Enjoy the forum!
Pat x

Top Bottom