Bike Tyre Loading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tafster

Hello all, been looking through the forum and this looks like a great site !!

I have a question that I hope someone can give me some advice on please.

My wife has bought me a bike as a surprise for my birthday as I have been meaning to get one for a while.

She bought me a Giant Seek 3 which on the surface is a very nice bike but I noticed the tyres sort of went flat when I sat on the bike, I looked at the tyre to obtain the pressure I noticed that the tyre has a max loading of 70 kg (11 Stone), if this is the case then then I am too heavy for this Bike/Tyre and my wife has either wasted her money or I will need to by new higher rated tyres/wheels, worst case scenario I will have to sell the bike and buy one that is more suitable.

Does the fact that the riders weight is distributed over the two wheels mean a max load of 140 kg? and I need to pump the tyres up (not checked the pressure in the tyres yet as I dont have a means of measuring this)

Many thanks for reading this

Regards

Taff

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have never seen a cycle tyre with maximum load written on the side.
What it should have on the side is a minimum and maximum pressure. ie 6-10bar and/or 100-140psi

matthat

Über Member
Hi Taff and welcome to CC, I've not seen a max weight on a bike before myself. I ride a Giant rd a Spesh Hybrid and a Mtb (not all at same time):laugh: I fluctuate between 16 and 17 stone depending on season and amount of cycling/eating i'm doing at that period of time and i don't have any issues what so ever. I would say just check your psi is at the correct pressure, My Hybrid and Rd bike want just over 100psi and mtb from memory is 50-60ish. Any other concerns it maybe worth popping into LBS for some advice or wait and see what follows on here.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Tafster and :welcome:.

I'm another one who has never seen a cycle tyre with a weight restriction stamped on it before.:unsure: It does sound like you need some more pressure in the tyre though. Get it pumped up and enjoy the bike.:thumbsup:

MikeW-71

Veteran
*looks up Giant Seek.

32mm tyres, so what will be on the sidewall is a recommended or max/min pressure. 32's often have a max of 80psi, so pop them up to 70 and see how you get on with that.

OP
OP
T

Tafster

I think the tyre pressure is limited at 100 psi 6.8 bar.

Took a photo of the tyre last night and wording on tyre is "MAX. LOAD 70 kg (154 lbs)", I have a pump with pressure gauge now and will first check to see what the current pressure is and then pump it up and check the tyre at intervals up to about 90 psi and let you know how I get on.

Again thanks for the replies

Taff

Cycleops

Legendary Member
100 psi sounds about right for this type of tyre. At max pressure the it will offer least rolling resistance i.e. be easier to pedal. You will only need to lower if tackling softer loose surfaces if you go off road.

Ern1e

Über Member
All I can add is that on car/truck etc the load marked is per tyre,so in theory it's is x 2 so 140 kg max load for the bicycle which would then have to include the bike + riders weight. I do not know of any one ever getting done for an overloaded bicycle to date but one nevers knows lol.

OP
OP
T

Tafster

I pumped the tyres up to a level where the tyre only slightly deflectson the bottom, I figured that would be better than having rock hard tires (perhaps I am wrong?), I couldnt get a good reading from the pressure gauge but the tyres were significantly under inflated which was the problem, not got a chance to take it for a ride yet but looking forward to getting out there. Is there a preffered pump and means of measuring the pressure amongst cyclists ?

OP
OP
T

Tafster

Just did some research on the tyre valve and it appears its a presta valve, took me a minute to work out why what I was pumping in was not going into the tyre, when I opened the valve air was able to enter the tyre (the pump I had borrowed was a double cylinder foot pump) I managed to pump the front tyre up using the gauge (well below the hundred) using my grip on the tyre also as an indication of inflation and pressure in the tyre. The lockable stem got bent due to the fixings of the pump so I tried to streighten it and the inevitable happened it snapped, the tyre did not deflate so I replaced the dust cap but I guess this is a short term soltion and I must eventually replace the innnertube..

The bike riding is tough, not even cycled a single revolution of the pedels yet and learning the hard way it seems !!

Iain M Norman

You can just replace the valve core on most presta tubes.
attachment.php

Bit on the right is the core. Which I suspect is what you snapped part of.

You should be fine as long as they are pumped up somewhere in between the min and max markings on your tyres. Otherwise you will find it more effort to ride and will be more likely to get punctures.

Other than that just check the pressures every other week or so. They will drop gradually, usually I check them when riding feels harder than normal and I want to blame the bike.

Any limitations on weight loading will come down to the frame/wheels which you won't come anywhere near to unless you have a superlight carbon bike and wheels with no forks (and even then it's usually just for indemnity so you can't sue the manufacturer if it breaks).

Top Bottom