Bike up to £1K - Felt, Planet X, Trek or other?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nearlythere

I'm looking to buy a road bike for riding into work 20 miles away. Can only spend up to £1000. I've been on the web and found three bikes for the money: FeltF55 Bike (2007), Planet X SL Pro Carbon Road Dura Ace, and Trek 5000 double. The first two cost a grand, the last £899. The pertinent websites for this cost shown below.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/12362/Felt_F55_Bike_2007

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/SL_Pro_Carbon_Road_999.html

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b3s6p693

Can you please advise which you think is best (or suggest better alternatives for the same money (and where to get it from). I'm pretty fit but have never cycled much before (moving from running to cycling due to a dogdy knee). The route will involve a decent (to me at least) climb uphill - over Alderley Edge in Cheshire. If its the Planet X bike that is recommended anyone have any idea how long it takes them to build and send it out - I don't want to wait weeks and not prepared to pay extra to speed up delivery.

Many thanks,

Steve:smile:

MichaelM

Guru
I can't comment on the Trek or the Felt, but Planet X are certainly good value, and are great to deal with.

And the Pro Carbon looks much better in the flesh than that pic suggests.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Do you intend to cycle all year round? might be worth giving some consideration to something that'll take mudguards if you do. Makes a ride in the rain considerably more pleasant.

Any bike shops locally to you? might be easier to get advice on sizing and you can test ride (and if you like it you can generally pay up and walk out with it same day)

VW1300_1974

I bought a Planet-X about 4 months ago. Really pleased with it.

Was about 3 days after ordering that I got the bike. The chap who I spoke to on the phone was really helpful and advised on size etc etc as it was my first road bike & I didn't really have a clue!

RedBike

I would be tempted to say none of them. I would recommend you look for something with enough clearance for mud-guards and if you've got carrying anything into work (change of clothing?) then perhaps a rack too.

Ok, perhaps the bike wont look as stylish but you'll have a much more comfortable ride.

If you're worried about the hills and your knees then you'd be well advised to look a either a compact chainset or a triple.

elvisparsley

I'd second Redbike- I was over at Alderley Edge last night and if you're going over Over Alderley the hills can be a bit of a challenge.(BRILLIANT on the way down!) Do-able of course, but especially if you've not done a lot of cycling, a compact or triple chainset chainset would make it a lot easier, giving you more gears to drop down to. Going for a ride up there is one thing, but commuting it every day is another. Good on you for getting on your bike!

Looks to be a very decent bit of kit you are going for.

Is it going to be in a safe place in work? If not a new £1k bike may soon not be there.

I commute twice a week 20 miles each way on a Felt F85 which is a much lower spec Felt and it seems fine for the job. But I have a triple on it and a bike rack.

I really would not see the need to spend as much and agree with the other comments on mudguards etc.

I think the bike you need first off is not the bike you need after a while

Tynan

Veteran
if it's real commuting you'll want guards and a rack, have a look at Condor's bikes, Fratello (steel with carbon forks) and Agu (alu with carbon forks) start at £899 inc rack and guards

Top Bottom