Bike upgrade advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I use my current bike [Dawes Mojave - approx 4 years old] for commuting, shopping, holidays and general getting around.

Due to cost effectiveness (repairs/maintenance v value of bike) and no luxury of a lot of space to keep a 'pub' bike and a weekend bike, I'm considering buying a new Bianchi Camaleonte as a replacement.

Budget wise I have a max £500-700.

I would appreciate advice on the following;

- better to have 2 bikes?
- should I consider a racing bike or tourer instead?
- cosmetic thought; the Camaleonte comes with no pannier racks and adding them seems a bit like putting a roof rack on a Ferrari.
- keep the old Dawes and maintain/repair it (I've been doing this via local repair shop as I don't have space, know how or lots of tools).

Look forward to helping me solve this conundrum .....

I use my current bike [Dawes Mojave - approx 4 years old] for commuting, shopping, holidays and general getting around.

Due to cost effectiveness (repairs/maintenance v value of bike) and no luxury of a lot of space to keep a 'pub' bike and a weekend bike, I'm considering buying a new Bianchi Camaleonte as a replacement.

Budget wise I have a max £500-700.

I would appreciate advice on the following;

- better to have 2 bikes? -YES
- should I consider a racing bike or tourer instead? - AS WELL AS
- cosmetic thought; the Camaleonte comes with no pannier racks and adding them seems a bit like putting a roof rack on a Ferrari. -SEE FOLLOWING RESPONSE
- keep the old Dawes and maintain/repair it (I've been doing this via local repair shop as I don't have space, know how or lots of tools). - ALDI OR LIDL OR EBAY OR GUMTREE FIR THE TOOLS AND GOIGLE OR YOUTOOB FOR FREE VIDEO TUTORIALS

Look forward to helping me solve this conundrum .....

SOLVED

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
Thanks DooDah

My heart says that but I'm struggling for space to keep two...may be ok short term but when the flat below is sold they may want their space back.

Any thoughts on a decent road bike within my budget?

There are many road bikes out there in your budget. It is a bit difficult to advise as you would need to try them. I suggest a trip to your LBS to try a few and see. You don't have any obligation to buy though. As Mr Haematocrit says, you would get more for your money second hand, there are often bikes for sale in the Classifieds on here. If I had to suggest just one road bike in your budget, I would say the Boardman Race. This is only because I have one and I can say that it is a very good bike. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom