Bike Upgrade... But which bike?

What new road bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Theo42

I currently ride a Carrera TDF - it has served me well over the last 2 years of commuting 10 miles a day and some leisurely mid-distance rides. But now I want to move on to something better...
I am taking part in some Sportives this summer, and aim to try and get into some Cat 4 races next year.

So, with a budget of approx. £700, what bike do you recommend?
I had a shortlist (purely based on reviews), which I've whittled down to 5. I've had a ride on the Giant and Specialized - tbh, every 'nice' bike I've sat on feels better than my Carrera.

What is good for Sportives and could be used more competitively?
Your experience, advice and participation is greatly appreciated.

Nearly there

Veteran
I think any of those bikes would be a good upgrade

musa

Über Member
+1 for s/h

Probably get two bikes for the money. Like allez, treks et all that I've seen all my bikes have been s/h so far.

Too good a deal to be done if you ask me.

OP
OP
Theo42

Theo42

2nd hand not really an option... I'll be getting some help off my little plastic friend. I have the interest free thingy on it, so instead of saving and getting my bike after the summer, I can get one now and pay it off by the end of summer.

400bhp

Guru
I think I'd be looking at the 2nd hand market.

£700 quid could buy you an awfull lot of bike if you are prepared to look around.

Let's caveat that with "AND you know what you are doing". Wear on parts can mean that any value in going down the 2nd hand route is wiped away.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Can i ask this question - why is that people think that when you want a bike upgrade you should look for 2nd hand goods all the time?

why can't we have a nice shiny new bike, like what the guy who is selling his 2nd hand bike is going to get with his 2nd hand bike selling money?

£750 is a lot of money to some people and some people would expect to get a good spec new bike for the money, rather than someone else's second hand goods........

for me i like the Ribble sportive and the Giant defy...........

OP
OP
Theo42

Theo42

I'm going to go to Halfords for a feel of the Boardmans and the same for the Specialized at my LBS.
My main concern is limiting myself - I don't want to get something that is good for just commuting and sportives but not competitive enough to get into racing with next year.

Good point from NtJK above. If you hang on a bit the 2013 bikes will be coming through after summer, then you should get a cracking deal on a 2012 bike. Assuming you need an average frame size that is, the other sizes tend to sell out really quickly .

Berties

Fast and careful!
A question we all ask our selves,when we go for our next bike what will we need,want or afford,it still baffles me,what gears,frame pedals ,brakes tyres,carbon or alloy,or what bike suits your style or where you want to ride,the ribbles are a good option as most bikes you get a option to change bits,to suit your needs

Top Bottom