Bike valuation please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njs1999

Hi all

Due to the ill health of my father in law, we are selling his bikes. Please can I have some guidance and what these bikes may be worth (my cycling knowledge is very limited):

20230507_114550.jpg

20230507_114150.jpg

Both in good condition. SRAM force on pedal levers and brakes on both bikes. Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Thanks.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Some idea of age / specification would be helpful. Are they10 or 11 speed?

The Roubaix dates from about 2010 and I'd suggest it's probably £350-400

The Ribble looks a bit newer, but they don't hold value as well. If it's 10 speed I'd suggest a similar value.

If you're looking to sell a posting on here is OK once you've made 5 posts, but eBay is likely to be the easiest route.

Good afternoon,

A lot depends upon how quickly you want them sold.

If you simply want them gone, then around my area, south Birmingham, you would need to be ready to accept anything over £100 each. Ouch, that is not a lot, but both are "old" and many people don't like "old" carbon fibre frames.

The lifetime of a carbon fibre frame is massively disputed, but Specialized confused it even further with Zertz inserts, those clear "rubbery" things in the forks and stays.

To sell them at a decent price you will probably need to photograph everything, the brakes, the brake levers, the front and rear gear changers, the chainset, any defects in the paint, anything that has a logo.

The problem is that you are trying to sell enthusiast's equipment and enthusiast's often don't want second hand, especially old second hand and the non enthusiast sees just how much bike that they can get new from Halfords for £400-£600

At this level stuff wears out quickly, chains (£20-£40), cassettes (£40-£100), chainrings (£70 [outer]), wheels ((£200)), rims get worn out by the brakes, etc. So you need to show a buyer that they're [edit typo] not picking up a bill to replace parts that is almost the same as buying a new bike.

So somewhere between mine and @DCLane's prices seems to be a great starting point taking into account how long you want to wait for a sale.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@njs1999 - buyers like detail in a sale, particularly cyclists who like to know specifications, etc. Things that are important:

- Frame: size, type (carbon)
- Fork: type (carbon)
- Groupset/gears: SRAM force, but the speed, crank length (it's printed on the inside usually), chainring size (53/39, 52/36, 50/34 usually).
- Wheels and tyres: Type, model, tyre width. Both wheels appear to be Mavic Aksium, which are introductory level ones but not massively cheap.
- Brakes: model/type
- Seatpost and saddle
- Handlebars and stem
- Extras: bottle cages, saddle bags, etc.

The pedals themselves could be removed (allen key / spanner) as buyers often have pedal preferences, or left on as preferred.

I'd also clean the white bar tape with WD-40 and baby wipes if possible.

Hope the sale goes well, even though you're selling your father-in-law's belongings.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would say £300 plus is to be expected, no less. They are good bikes.

Just bought a Colnago alloy bike with similar kit and age for just over £330 but spent a fair bit on replacing cables, bar tape etc etc. Needed a bit of a polish to get it to my standards and a damn good service, but I am happy with the price.

If ebaying, go in with a reserve. Check the listings out before and don't let you get taken for less IMHO.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A search on eBay for similar models will give you a good idea. Not a good time to sell as a recession is hitting the bike industry with new bikes heavily discounted.
Buyers are there but might take a while to find.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Curiously, bikes to factory spec sell better than bikes loaded with extras, possibly because those bits and pieces always look like they don't belong.

These two are already tidy, but I would remove the bottle cages and the saddle pouch.

Good morning,

Some poor prices achieved or not, locally.

Full carbon, complete, no faults, but partly disassembled, £139,

1683527778976.png

Full carbon Ultegra Di2, £350 1 bid, no bids at the original £450
1683527904570.png

Specialized Secteur Sport road bike - size Medium 53.7 CM £70
1683528691461.png

Specialized Specteur Sport Road Bike XL, no bids at £200, £300 BIN
1683528137093.png

Specialized Allez, almost certainly under £200
1683528412261.png

Another Allez with no bids at £200
1683528561179.png

Note the spare parts bill here; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/sold-specialized-allez-triple-56cm-£140.291249/

These were in my browser history, as I am vaguely looking for a pub bike, along with some Classic Steel bikes which are also not selling.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sorry to hear of a fellow cyclist coming to the end of their journey :sad:

From a quick squiz on ebay Rubaix values are all over the place, while it's difficult to get a decent idea without being able to identify the age / spec of the bike and this can be a minefield as few resources exist to help with this and the range can be confusing.

I'd urge you to manage your expectations however as the bike market's flat currently with demand for old CFRP / ally road bikes limited. FWIW this 10-ish year old CFRP Rubaix sold on ebay for £175..

Best bet IMO is to look on ebay at sold listings and try to identify something that looks the same (exactly the same as model spec and value can differ widely despite looking similar). You can help nail it down by looking at any markings on the frame, the groupset, wheels etc and making sure they match with what you're looking at online.

Of course if you can tolerate using the hateful sales platform to actually sell the bike you can start low and let the auctions get bid up to whatever people are willing to pay. Personally I doubt the Ribble's worth a lot and the Rubaix probably not much more. Really I think you'd be lucky to get north of £400 for the two, but of course might be wrong.

Good luck :smile:

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I got £450ish for a slightly upgraded 2014 Boardman Team Carbon a year ago on eBay. People go a bit mad on there.

Old Di2, as in one of the examples, is problematic. 10 speed Di2 spares are like hens' teeth (a good USED rear mech is £500) and converting the whole bike to later Di2 spec would cost thousands. I don't know what SRAM parts availability is like.

Top Bottom