Bike was remove after i locked it to tree on my apartment site..advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sinead.boland

Hi,

I have recently locked my bike to a tree at my apartment complex. It was not obstructing any cars/pedestrians. It was neatly tucked away. I came home yesterday to fine out it had been stolen. I put a notice up in my apartment block asking resident if they saw anything suspicious. That evening I received a call from the building manager who advised that he has instructed the contractor to remove my bike following x4 complaints from residents.

I got my bike back this am with a broken lock. I asked if this can be replaced as there are no signs informing me that ‘no bike to be locked to tree’. Manager reported that bike was not to be locked to the tree as it was private property. Is there any point in appealing this – it has just really frustrated me that they were allowed to break my lock and remove my bike without any advance warning.

Shall I just leave it or am I in my right to request my lock is replaced?

Gary E

Veteran
If they touched my bike I'd kill them and all their living relatives, but that might just be me! ;)

Gary E

Veteran
On a more serious note, I agree with User. You should have at least been issued a warning and given the opportunity to remove the bike without them resorting to destroying the lock.

I wonder, from a legal standpoint, what authority they had? Private property or not, I'm not convinced that that gives them the right to use such agressive tactics. Others on the forum are a lot more knowledgeable on the legal ramifications and I'm sure they'll be along soon enough.

On a side note - not very friendly your neighbours are they?

Gary E

Veteran
Harsh but fair Gary.

Well I'm a reasonable man, I prefer a proportional response to start with until I get really serious :smile:
Unless it's written into your contact/tenancy which you have signed and consented to, then they have committed criminal damage and the matter should be reported to the police as such.

That's what I like to see, a gentle, diplomatic approach.
I'm nothing if not fair. I like to start off easy before I bring out the heavy artillery ;)

Gary E

Veteran
...and that's only if it was my good road bike. If it was my winter bike or my Hybrid I'd probably let them of with a gentle maiming!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Agree with Drago, check you’re tennany agreement. All the same seems a very heavy handed attitude, why couldn’t they just politely asked you to move it. What is wrong with some people.

vickster

Legendary Member
Small claims court to recoup losses might be an option if they are in breach of tenancy/lease agreement

All assuming you're in the UK of course

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On a more serious note, I agree with User. You should have at least been issued a warning and given the opportunity to remove the bike without them resorting to destroying the lock.

I wonder, from a legal standpoint, what authority they had? Private property or not, I'm not convinced that that gives them the right to use such agressive tactics. Others on the forum are a lot more knowledgeable on the legal ramifications and I'm sure they'll be along soon enough.
I agree with @Drago. Sounds like pretty straightforward criminal damage if there's no warning in the lease. Arguably locking your bike to a tree was criminal damage too, but around here most flats would be in breach of planning permission conditions if they had no cycle parking.

On a side note - not very friendly your neighbours are they?
I think I'd put up a follow-up notice saying how upset you are that complaints from neighbours led to your vehicle's lock being cut open by the building manager and ask them to think how they'd feel if the same happened to their vehicle.

Top Bottom