Bike Week at school

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've got permission to have Bike Week for my class in the final term. I'm super excited and have some ideas already but I'd welcome any suggestions about child-friendly bike-related activities. Bear in mind my class are little - some are still four, most are five.

I'm thinking:
- ride your bike on Friday
- pumping up inner tubes, patching old tubes
- designing cycle jerseys
- maybe watch Belleville Rendezvous? (maybe a little young)
- read bike books
- have a go on my tandem/bring their own bikes in
- look at why we wear helmets
- bike repair shop role play
- use tools
- threading ribbons through wheels.
- maybe have the local bike shop in to visit (if covid safe)

What else? Any ideas? I'm so excited about it.

Mrs M

Guru
I've got permission to have Bike Week for my class in the final term. I'm super excited and have some ideas already but I'd welcome any suggestions about child-friendly bike-related activities. Bear in mind my class are little - some are still four, most are five.

I'm thinking:
- read bike books
- use tools

Sounds great, anything fun that captures their interest and imagination :okay:

Tribansman

Veteran
Watch a couple of fun bike videos, get them really excited (guess you've got to add the usual disclaimers!)

There are some pretty nifty videos on YouTube of balance bikers, which I imagine is the stage some of your nippers will be on?

Some other ideas,

- look at good local biking spots (parks, tracks, etc)
- obstacle course on the playground
- have one of the Flying Fergus books as the class book for the week (they're brilliant, although may be a bit old/complex for reception)
- do a bit of recycling awareness and creativity to think of different uses for old inner tubes
- demonstrate some really good bike lights (or the difference between good and bad ones)
- nutrition/what some bikers eat (they may be amazed at the volume they have to eat!)

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable

I'm thinking:
- read bike books
- use tools

- How to do an M-Check
- Kids cycling books - if the school will give you a budget...
- On-bike 'Assault Course' - taped skinny, limbo, slow pedalling, cone slalom, etc. for those that can ride
- Bike bingo - what can they see on a bike ride? Make their own, perhaps

- British Cycling's Ready Set Ride may have some activities you can adapt - ideal for your class age group
- Sustrans Outside-In campaign may have some ideas too
- If you have a club local to you that offers Go-Ride, you could arrange for a session in school (all Go-Ride coaches are DBS checked and are first aiders) - if you weren't a good three hours drive from me, I'd have offered to do it!

Design cycle jersey - go to this competition page and press the red button for a download the kids can use

Swapping an inner tube is a good one, but little fingers may struggle. I wouldn't do patching tubes though as per @irw 's post above unless you use self-sealing patches (no glue), but I'd still check then.

I think the main thing is that no matter what you do, it's fun and shows cycling to be fun.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cleanest bike competition? That'll upset hyper competitive parents like me.

I think I may have slightly upset Mini D's school when I told them I didn't want her doing Mickey Mouse Bokeability (sic), and that I'd taught her to ride properly myself.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Given how many COSHH pictograms appear on a tube of puncture repair glue, is that a good idea for 4-5 year olds?
Good point. We will switch it for school glue.

Top Bottom