Bike Week at school

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Kids as young as 4 or 5 years old cycle on the Green Ways (traffic-free cycle paths) here .. and they're well-drilled. They all cycle in single file - and on the correct side of the track.

I didn't see any reference to basic Highway Code stuff in the posts above .. is it too early for that?

It's more than 60 years since I passed my Cycling Proficiency test .. but I'm sure some 'road safe' basics were included.

Just a thought..

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Do you have a means to project photographs. Maybe a selection of inspiring photos of what you can do / achieve on a bike?
Had to laugh when I read this - the first thought I had was to show the kids some Danny MacAskill or Sam Pilgrim videos :laugh: "Don't Try This At Home"

On the more serious side, the Mark Beaumont videos are good, world records, etc.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Teach/show them how to wear cycling helmets correctly. :smile:

Last edited:
Have a cycle tour round the playground. Get some poles and attach large photographs, for instance Big Ben, Eifel towner, Pyramids of Egypt, Sydney opera house, Everest, Statue of Liberty.

Have the kids do their first bike tour in the playground.
Good idea, and then rounded off with squash/cordial and some cake, pastries, fruit, ice cream, etc. That’ll get them hooked! 🙂

Patching inner tubes is fine but the pumping up bit might not be achievable by 4/5 year olds when it gets up to riding pressures as they don’t weigh enough to push down the lever on the pump.

What about something on the importance of looking where you are going to avoid hazardous items and potentially falling off the bike (my 5yo is guilty of this!).

A top tips session might be good such as how to use brakes (some use their feet to slow down!), how to dismount sideways (some shuffle off the back over the wheel), how to put the bike down (some drop it on the mech side), pedestrian awareness/music session, get them to do a tune with some bells.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
In the recycling, mental wellbeing vein, chat why bikes are a great general form of transport and as said earlier up thread tourers, tandems, trailers, recumbents, disability cycling etc. Show them the vast possibilities.

Top Bottom