Bike weight and everyday use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Does bike weight have much impact on everyday use?

Yesterday I carried a 2.5kg bag of potatoes home on my bike. There was no effect on the 2 mile journey time and I didn't notice any difference going uphill. In fact, it wasn't until I got home that I realized what I'd done.

defy-one

Depends .....
What you use the bike for
How fast you want to go
How heavy you are

A 14kg bike with a 75kg rider is going to be faster than a full carbon bike weighing 7kg with a rider weighing 100kg

Cyclist33

Depends .....
What you use the bike for
How fast you want to go
How heavy you are

A 14kg bike with a 75kg rider is going to be faster than a full carbon bike weighing 7kg with a rider weighing 100kg

Not when I'm riding my mtb it isn't!?

Seriously though, this does rather depend on the rider.

snorri

Legendary Member
One of my "friends" at work put a broken concrete slab in my pannier in order to be amused at my expense. It was only when I dismounted at home and was putting my bike in the shed that I realised the handling was not quite normal and discovered the slab.:biggrin:

Drago

Legendary Member
Within sensible limits I find the weight isn't a major issue in daily use. A stiff frame that transmits maximum effort, good rolling wheels/tyres are higher up the list that a few extra pounds.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Over a hilly 50 mile ride which I do regulary my average speed on my lightest and most areo bike has been faster over the past year than my heavier areo bikes. The experience is not massively different however the data itself speaks volumes.
As such I consider weight to have little impact to the experience, but impact to the performance... if you potter around at low speed, and short distances I would believe that only massive changes in weight make a difference.

Night Train

Maker of Things
In day to day riding I notice weight only when accelerating from a stop or climbing steep hills.
I ride, mostly, a Brompton with a locks and tools in the saddle bag and often a weighty front bag with 4 changes of clothes, toiletries bag, big old laptop and all the ancillaries for it. I also occasionally tow a trailer too.

The trailer, a 3kg aluminium thing with 26" lightweight glassfibre wheelchair wheels, is not noticeable for weight or drag.

I find what is more noticeable with a bike is a dragging brake, or rubbing chain, or a wheel that doesn't spin free on the bearings.
Otherwise the greater effects come from terrain and weather.

Top Bottom