Bike24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you tell me about the currency situation with bike24 @avecReynolds531 ?
I ask as i know one german outfit (can't remember which) which allows you to tell it you are in the uk at the beginning of the process, shows a nice union jack, but still shows all prices in euros, even in your basket. Am wary of exchange rate shenanigans.
That’s Bike24. Unless spending 000s, any exchange rate movements are likely to be counted in pennies.
The part being looked at here is 38 eur inc postage vs £55 or more in UK (cheapest £40 plus delivery but oos)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Was the price clearly quoted in sterling before you bought?
It isn't with some.

It was indeed.
Before it let's you in it'll ask where in the world you are and adjust the prices accordingly. :okay:

Edit. It shows the euro sign but is in fact sterling.

My rack in now in Bury:biggrin:
On its way!

2nd edit! I lied! I actually paid less then the euro amount. By a good 4-5 pound. Oops.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It was indeed.
Before it let's you in it'll ask where in the world you are and adjust the prices accordingly. :okay:

On its way!
Doesn’t seem to be the case for me, everything is set to UK but still priced in Euro

Attachments

• D2093EE5-03A5-43DB-BBAA-3CF79E903650.png
    D2093EE5-03A5-43DB-BBAA-3CF79E903650.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 5
That’s Bike24. Unless spending 000s, any exchange rate movements are likely to be counted in pennies.
The part being looked at here is 38 eur inc postage vs £55 or more in UK (cheapest £40 plus delivery but oos)
It's not international exchange rate movements i am concerned about. It's the exchange rate applied, which as you say is down to the company. Or my credit card company which will add exchange rate charges to anything i buy in euros. I like transparency. Rose will quote everything in sterling as you proceed.

Last edited:
It was indeed.

Edit. It shows the euro sign but is in fact sterling.

On its way!
Thanks for the reply vantage.
Very odd that it shows a euro sign but is in sterling.
How do you know?
Enjoy the rack.
(Rose tracking info also excellent and they deliver faster than tredz for sure)

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Can you tell me about the currency situation with bike24 @avecReynolds531 ?
I ask as i know one german outfit (can't remember which) which allows you to tell it you are in the uk at the beginning of the process, shows a nice union jack, but still shows all prices in euros, even in your basket. Am wary of exchange rate shenanigans.
If I recall correctly, we've paid in euros each time.
A kind friend advised that in terms of best rate, it's better to pay in the currency of the country, not the GBP figure that a company offers.
We found that removes the wariness of getting stung with a bad rate - when used in conjunction with a specific credit card that offers best rate exchanges.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not international exchange rate movements i am concerned about. It's the exchange rate applied, which as you say is down to the company. Or my credit card company which will add exchange rate charges to anything i buy in euros. I like transparency. Rose will quote everything in sterling as you proceed.
Buy from Rose then :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I used PayPal. They converted the cost to euros as it went to bike24.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
And next question...has anyone used Bikester...based somewhere in EU (quotes in GBP and they have the chainring for £37 delivered)

I used PayPal. They converted the cost to euros as it went to bike24.
Thanks for further reply vantage.
So you could see the price in sterling on paypal before you clicked for the final transaction?
(I often use paypal for foreign bits and bobs, sometimes priced in dollars at the sellers end but paypal will, unless i have missed something, show a good pretty accurate estimate of the sterling amount.)

I had a parcel from bike24 arrive this morning:okay:

I am not in the UK, but, my credit card is and so while the prices are in Euro when it comes to pay I am offered a price in GBP. I always chose not to take this and am billed in Euro. The credit card exchange rate will be a fraction better, but as said above for the price of a few parts the difference is minimal.

Stock levels are always very clearly indicated and the range of stock is vast. By way of example, I was looking for a specific freewheel removal tool, they had half a dozen different ones available, and wiggle, obviously, had none and don't get me started on the tub glue:evil:

Top Bottom