Bikeability - Not to encourage children to cycle alone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It just a suggestion that might help kids from families who can't/wont fork out for a helmet to actually take part in the course.

That wasn't meant as a dig.....

There has been discussion about these perceptions before, and it is being strongly suggested that Boris Bike type schemes are failing in those places where helmets are compulsory for exactly these reasons

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Actually I'm not really interested in the Bikeability stuff, I was more responding to you. You've posted a few slightly negative threads recently, perhaps with good reason or perhaps my perception is off. You don't want to end up like Numbnuts, 6000 posts of abject ****ing misery.
Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm not going to pretend all in the garden is rosy when it isn't. The situation on our roads is diabolical, I'm not going to pretend it isn't.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm not going to pretend all in the garden is rosy when it isn't. The situation on our roads is diabolical, I'm not going to pretend it isn't.
I disagree 100%. It's not diabolical, maybe it's not ideal but it's not diabolical, it's not even close to diabolical. In fact, it's the best it's ever been in my view.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I disagree 100%. It's not diabolical, maybe it's not ideal but it's not diabolical, it's not even close to diabolical. In fact, it's the best it's ever been in my view.
Well there you go, I'm having a different experience.

In the space of one week I've had one driver drive at me deliberately and then give me a mouth full of abuse, one motorcyclist drive at me deliberately as I crossed a road as he came round a bend, one motorist drive at me not deliberately and then give me a mouthful of abuse when I tapped on his car to alert him, and two men give me a load of verbal abuse simply because I asked them to move their vehicle up a bit as they were completely blocking access to the bike path. The first three of these episodes were completely unprovoked, the fourth episode my request was very polite.

All is not rosy.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
OT but there's a school on the South Circular that I pass most mornings at the moment. It's a posh school - Dulwich College - and they have an enormous number of cyclists. It wouldn't surprise me if they have the highest per capita student cycling rate in London. But it's worth bearing in mind that the school imposes no silly restrictions on them, at least from appearances. Wearing a helmet is very much up to the student and their parents. Hi-viz and helmets tend to be worn by the younger riders but very few of the older ones do. They even cycle along in mini-pelotons sometimes. But the school evidently doesn't impose any 'no cycling on the pavement' restrictions either. They take either the road or the pavement when approaching the school grounds.

There is something very reassuringly old-fashioned when you see them in the road - school kids in black uniforms riding with mate to the school along one of S London's busiest arteries without helmets. They're using bikes as a simple, quick way to school and there's no feel of it being a major event requiring special kit. And, in my view, that is exactly how it should be. Judging by the sheer numbers of cyclists, it's their view too.

In response to some of the above from an instructors point of view;
Inclusivity; The scheme I work for provide bikes if required, depending on the area this can equate to anything between 10% and 80% of the kids needing to borrow one. Non riders sessions are held in the playground for the ones whose bike handling isn't up to them coming out on the road or who have just never ridden a bike before.
Helmets; My scheme insists on helmets (instructors included) and has loan helmets available, helmet checks and fitting is covered before they touch a bike. When I say 'what keeps us safe on our bikes' 90% of kids will say 'helmets!' At which point I put them right and explain the limitations of cycle helmets. If it was up to me I wouldn't insist and wouldn't wear one, but I think most schools and parents expect it and it's not really a problem.
Telling them to ride on the pavement; I make it clear that they shouldn't be on the pavement unless they're pushing their bike to avoid riding a particularly hazardous section.
Attitude of some motorists; Yes, it absolutely stinks, Bikeabilty teaches pretty assertive riding (riding in secondary, door and a bit more, owning your space at junctions etc.) Obviously, expecting most 10 year olds to put it into practice when on there own is probably asking too much, but you can only hope that some of it will stick as they get older and that they might even remember it when they get behind the wheel of a car in a few years (or maybe explain to their WVM dad why that cyclist is 'holding him up').
So, whilst Bikeabilty isn't the answer to all the problems cyclists face on the road and the way it is delivered can be less than ideal it's definitely a step in the right direction IMO.
Of course, if I didn't think that I wouldn't be doing it!

400bhp

Guru
My daughter's school sent out a great letter in respect of parking issues around the school. Essentially saying to drivers stop being anti social anchors.^_^

My daughter's school sent out a great letter in respect of parking issues around the school. Essentially saying to drivers stop being anti social anchors.^_^

I can't find the reference, or remember the exact details, but...

There was one school who made this an educational project for the kids.

They showed the children why parking on the pavement was dangerous and affected diabled people, they then showed why it was unacceptable...and tasked the children to prevent their parents doing so.

The programme was effective, but a major backlash was experienced as parents thought it was an unacceptable indoctrination of their children

Top Bottom