Bikepacking: what lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gradders

Regular
Keen for people's view on the type of bike lock to take on a biking tour through Spain (North to South). Insurance companies demand a gold rated lock however they weigh plus 1kg. Trying to keep weight down. Staying in hotels/ hostels etc. Any recommendations or advice?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It depends on how likely you are to be locking your bike up in public places and out of your view. If this will happen then I would think a decent mini U-lock that can go through frame and around a railing or reasonable post would be the minimum, then a cable to secure one or both wheels.
If you will always be with your bike and only need to lock it at café stops and in/at your accommodation at night then you could get away with a lighter, less substantial lock, maybe a coil/cable lock.

Doing LEJoG in the UK in a few months in a group of 4 and we are only taking cable locks for the café stops as we will always be with the bikes and won't all be disappearing off to the toilet at the same time etc.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's a great question, one I've been wondering myself. I'm keeping an eye on Skol and Nickyboy's prep for their ride with interest, I'm always wondering what people do at a B+B, hostel or campsite where there's no locked garage etc! I'd kind of planned on a Gold D lock and cables as the baseline, figuring that carrying a kilo on whatever odyssey is infinitely better than risk losing the bike.

It's really a matter of personal preference and it depends on so many factors.

The first is insurance - if you don't have the correct lock you could lose your bike and your payout.

After that you're playing the odds.

I'm of the opinion that a fully loaded bike left in a visible location (when shopping for example) is not attractive to most thieves. A relatively simple lock will suffice. A lightly loaded bike may well be more likely to go walkabout.

Storage at night in hotels and hostels may require prioritising places where your bike will definitely be secure - in your room. If you're on a well travelled bike route and hotel A has an outdoor shelter for bikes, chances are that's well known to local bike thieves.

Is your bike attractive to thieves? Can you change that?

A bit of situational awareness is a big help too. I'd often circle the car park of a supermarket etc to get a feel for a place before parking up. Only a handful of times have I not parked up.

Finally, a big smile in asking for assistance in a shop or a hotel goes a long, long way.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I use this when I'm touring - not too heavy and quite robust. Hopefully will fit in one you your bike packs:

https://www.evanscycles.com/kryptonite-evolution-mini-7-d-lock-with-kryptoflex-cable-EV325378

Smudge

Veteran
D lock every time, often supplemented with a cable, but always a d lock at least. Also, try to place it where its hard to get a bar in there to twist it and lock it up somewhere busy with people.
Its about all you can do, thieves with cordless power tools and the brass neck to use them with a lot of people around will go through any lock.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I use this when I'm touring - not too heavy and quite robust. Hopefully will fit in one you your bike packs:

View attachment 504211

https://www.evanscycles.com/kryptonite-evolution-mini-7-d-lock-with-kryptoflex-cable-EV325378
Bought that exact one last year for urban paranoia situations. It does inspire confidence that your bike is likely to still be where you left it if parked sensibly. However, at 1.6kgs it is not something I would use for anything other than inner-city utility rides.

Dwn

I've gone for a foldylock classic - silver rather than gold rating but packs down small and weighs 1kg. In the city I tend to use my abus folding lock, which also packs down well but is 1.6 kg. Pretty sure that is gold rated

sleuthey

Legendary Member
No idea what the insurance rating is but I got this for Christmas and in terms or convenience and the quality of the securing arrangements it is superb.

Attachments

• 15814966500278720672141011890343.jpg
    15814966500278720672141011890343.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 25

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
For our LEJOG we'll use @I like Skol cable locks at cafes en route. Lock all four bikes together. I also always put my bike in the highest possible gear to make cycling off with it difficult unless the thief knows how to change gear

We are staying in B&Bs and small hotels. All the B&Bs have confirmed they have secure storage. Probably a garage in which we can use Skollys locks. Premier Inns allow bikes in rooms. A couple of hotels are a decent size so I'm sure they will have an internal storeroom we can use

Never considered insurance tbh

froze

Über Member
If insurance coverage is important then you need to get a gold rated lock.

The lightest gold rated lock that I know of is the LiteLok Gold Range, you can wear it as a belt or put it in your pack, but even this lightweight job weighs 2.4 pounds but it costs $135.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A real personal choice. Just like helmets and tyres. One lock does not suit all.

Some carry a D lock, half the weight of their bike. Personally I carry a home made 3mm stainless steel wire which is 2m long.

It will go round a post and frame, my seat, bags and wheels. I would call it a cafe lock. Easy to cut with bolt croppers, quite a bit harder with wire cutters.

I am often told on forums I will get my bike stolen using this wire. The bikes are insured and in 55 years of cycling I have been lucky enough not to lose a bike.... yet 🍀😁

I use a decent lock with the wire and it is usually fastened to jannies bike with a combination cable.

It works for me.

froze

Über Member
I use the same 12mm thick cable with the same Discus lock that I bought way back in the late 70's, no bike of mine has been stolen with it...BUT I have never lived in a high crime city except for about 8 years I was in Los Angeles, but during that time I simply took my bike into my office, the security guys for the building allowed me to do that probably because they didn't want to be responsible for watching it! But I used that lock to lock my bikes up at college and never a problem either. I'm sort of surprised that the original vinyl covering is still fully attached and not brittle after all those years.

Top Bottom