Bikepacking: what lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
We only ever use lightweight cables and padlocks on 3 month tours around Europe - so far with no issues. Our thinking is this:
Our Revolution "british style" tourers are pretty unique in continental Europe, so not desirable like, say a fancy MTB.
Fully loaded with SPD pedals most people would not be able to get on and make a quick getaway.
High risk places there are two of us so one guards the bikes while the other shops.
On campsites, as well as locking them we also cover the bikes - thieves like to be able to see what they plan to nick - covered they don't there isn't a high security lock.
Supermarkets often have a local tramp/beggar outside - make a point of putting bikes near him, and saying hello (in whatever language) and if begging drop him a euro - everyone knows him, and crims know he would recognize them.
Generally avoid "dangerous feeling" places - in a great many months touring around much of Europe I have encountered few places as dangerous for bikes as parts of our local city.

As far as insurance is concerned, I have never seen a policy that would actually pay out if we were victims of crime on a long tour - there are so many restrictions on the security measures you are supposed to take that you cannot comply with on a long tour, so we just go without.

robing

Über Member
Lightweight locks and cables for me too. It's mainly a deterrent. If I'm in accommodation bike will be in secure storage or preferably the room. Camping can be a potential issue depending on where you are. You can always take the bike with you if you have to go out. Wild camping rarely a problem. Supermarket I lock in full view, usually the windows are large and you can keep half an eye on the bike while you shop, I'm not in the shop for long anyway. If I'm not actually on the bike I try to keep it as close by as possible!

RobinS

Veteran
The most difficult times we have had have been when we have camped near cities, and taken a day off from cycling to see the tourist sights - for example when we camped about 10km from the centre of Bratislava, and visited the city by tram for a day. We covered and locked the bikes, but also made sure to say hello to the people camping nearby, so those around would know they were our bikes, and hopefully intervene if an interloper started to interfere with them. Do need to always remember that the very large majority of people are honest and would try to prevent a theft.

mikeIow

Guru
Interesting topic.
I will be on a solo jaunt next year (COVID-permitting!), and certainly plan to take a cable lock at the least.
I won’t have the luxury of a buddy to keep an eye on the bike when I’m popping in shop/cafe or to the loo :rolleyes:

I have a hefty D-lock, but it is big and heavy, not so sure about dropping that in too.
Was wondering about the likes of this kind of alarm lock: fit bikes as well as motorbikes.
Yes, they look fairly easy to break, and look to add around 600-700g, but they look small to pop in bar bag & the noise might make it a deterrent?:ph34r:

The waist locks are another option, but another hefty price.

I will almost certainly do some camping: have a tunnel tent with some ‘porch’ space, I suspect dragging a wheel under that might help prevent drunk or opportunist thieves from taking it....

Welcome any thoughts :okay:

Your link doesn't seem to go to anything specific.
I am wary of ANY cable lock, see them as almost an invitation to thieves.
I would take a dlock.
Might be worth considering an onguard neon.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.OnGuard-Neon-U-Lock_107973.htm

I use one touring and for some shopping.
Lighter. A bit of a bluff as I don't see them as too much of a challenge to a thief but at least they look like a d lock. An idea to black tape over any more colourful bits maybe as they advertise the use of some plastics.
I tend to tour on old looking bike which helps.
I also use panniers. Can't help but wondering if a bikepacking set up, particularly at the fashionable end (i saw one guy and his set-up once that looked as if he should be on a catwalk) attracts thieves more than a bike with a mountain of junk on the back. Embrace your inner tramp :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When I looked in 2018, the lightest Gold lock on the LFGSS recommended list was the OnGuard Brute X4 at 1.2kg. Any recent lock beat it?

Another option is to get insurance not demanding Gold. Mine only requires locked to a fixed object or in a garage, but I use a big lock because theft is a shoot way to end a tour.

mikeIow

Guru
Odd, @Blue Hills, the link looks okay to me - google "FD-MOTO 110dB Alarm Disc Brake Lock" to see what i was talking about.
Had a pal have his bike nicked in Leicester fairly recently....in broad daylight in the city centre. I just wonder if an alarmed thing might help prevent that kind of thing.
Yes, I have a D-Lock - is that OnGuard one especially lightweight? Can't see any details, even on their own website!

Also wondering about the folding type of locks - more flexible around larger lampposts. Still chunky....but that is the price of security!

I like the idea of embracing my inner tramp....I suspect after a few days on the road, that might become de rigour :laugh:

Odd, @Blue Hills, the link looks okay to me - google "FD-MOTO 110dB Alarm Disc Brake Lock" to see what i was talking about.
Had a pal have his bike nicked in Leicester fairly recently....in broad daylight in the city centre. I just wonder if an alarmed thing might help prevent that kind of thing.
Yes, I have a D-Lock - is that OnGuard one especially lightweight? Can't see any details, even on their own website!

Also wondering about the folding type of locks - more flexible around larger lampposts. Still chunky....but that is the price of security!

I like the idea of embracing my inner tramp....I suspect after a few days on the road, that might become de rigour :laugh:
link OK for me now - i was on a maybe dodgy tab before.
If you like I can weigh my neon lock.
It's not superlight but is lighter than my old Abus D lock which I would tend to use if locking up in central london.

As for alarms, I also have one - not a lock, just an alarm - it's damn loud though haen't used it yet - can try to dig out details of it if you are interested.

On your additional point on folding locks, I wouldn't use one from any manufacturer - I have the impression that they are more expensive than they should be for the level of security offered - and that they are non too secure anyway - all those joins.

mikeIow

Guru
Yes, I think some simple alarm (locking or otherwise!) might be a useful addition for the solo cyclist.

Just checked - my D-lock is a Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2....but quite old: 2012, silver rated.....so although it is 1,143g of solid goodness, probably no more secure than some of today's folding locks!

gcogger

When I looked in 2018, the lightest Gold lock on the LFGSS recommended list was the OnGuard Brute X4 at 1.2kg. Any recent lock beat it?
My Abus Ultimate 420 is 1100g (without the extra cable) and is Sold Secure Gold rated - not sure what the LFGSS recommended list is. They do a smaller version at 900g, but the one I have is the 'full size' version.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My Abus Ultimate 420 is 1100g (without the extra cable) and is Sold Secure Gold rated - not sure what the LFGSS recommended list is. They do a smaller version at 900g, but the one I have is the 'full size' version.
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/ and that's not on it, probably because it's only 13mm diameter. Whether it's still worth using depends on whether your primary aim is to satisfy insurers or seriously reduce the risk of theft.

gcogger

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/ and that's not on it, probably because it's only 13mm diameter. Whether it's still worth using depends on whether your primary aim is to satisfy insurers or seriously reduce the risk of theft.
Thanks for the link. Everything on there looks very heavy, which I guess is inevitable. Even the OnGuard Brute X4 you mentioned is shown as 1.864kgs, if you can trust the weights there. I guess the Abus Granit X-Plus 540 at 1.4kg looks the lightest, though that's 13mm too.

Top Bottom