Bikepacking: what lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe I’m overthinking this (he says, typing this at 7am!)
I think you may be!^_^

I posted in this thread's first life. A lot depends on context.

I'd never leave my loaded bike out of my sight for an extended time such as at a museum. At a food stop I can generally leave it in sight. In a big city I generally have a secure place to stay (AirBnB etc.) that has a place for the bike. Drop bike, then explore.

I'd be wary of depending on alarms. Most people will just ignore them. I think a lot of us think that bike thieves are like us - at the first obstacle they are off! That's not so. Someone tried to pick my pocket last week and after I caught him and removed his hand he tried again!

Bike security, in my experience, is one of those things that is easy to fixate on before you go. Once on the road, it's really not that big a deal. Asking for help or expressing concern, especially as a traveller, can open many doors, physical as well as metaphorical.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
The weight is clearly the pain.
I'm curious why frame locks like this are not more widely used over here. Wondered that years ago when I was at Centre Parcs....& clearly they are "de rigour" as first line of defence in the Netherlands.
Yes, it won't stop someone picking the bike up, but I suspect for a loaded tourer, not a bad option?

I have one on my commuter bike. A couple of times I've left it outside my house and forgotten to take the key out of the ring lock, only to find that a kind person has posted the key through the letter box.

mikeIow

Guru
I have one on my commuter bike. A couple of times I've left it outside my house and forgotten to take the key out of the ring lock, only to find that a kind person has posted the key through the letter box.
Mmmm....I get the advantage of always having the key, but I think I would have a version I can remove......otherwise there is too much risk of someone else locking it when I absent-mindedly forget!

mikeIow

Guru
Isn't that like worrying someone might steal the bike if you forget to lock it? There is an easy solution :smile:
I know what you are saying, I think there is a subtle difference.
I can quite easily envisage me *occasionally* forgetting to lock it - I am sadly imperfect (despite what I tell people, of course!)

With no lock, someone would have to want to steal the bike.

With a key in the frame lock, someone might think it really funny to lock it and throw the key nearby for a joke. In their mind, they haven't stolen anything.....but for me, it would be as good as stolen, unless I have a spare handy.....

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Why not just carry the key on a keyring with the rest of your keys? Is there something special about bike lock keys that means you have to carry them loose?:laugh:

For casually locking up my hack bikes, I usually just carry a brass 4-wheel combination lock and a relatively light chain. That means I don't need to worry about having the right bunch of keys on me, and the bike is never left unlocked. OK, these locks are not high security but they will prevent casual ride-away thefts and if you're riding a £25 beater bike most of the time that's all the deterrent that's needed. Better bikes I simply don't leave out of my sight at all, so if I'm planning to stop midway between going from A to B then I choose a beater which has it's lock and chain left wrapped around the front end of the top and down tubes. The lock is kept on the bike, the combination is in my head. No key to get mislaid, no chance of going out and forgetting to take the lock with me.

@mikelow
At the risk of repeating myself, there's a risk you're moving on from "researching" to catastrophising.

If you're thinking of mainly travelling in the UK, I think it's a safe bet that most people won't be aware of those types of lock. Unless the key is bright & noticeable, the chance of leaving it in a place, at the same time as such a joker, for a sufficient amount of time that they actually lock and throw away the key is miniscule.
A statistician could probably draw up a list of far more serious things that are more likely to happen!

If you're going to be travelling in Europe where those locks are more common, the "joke" has a whole lot less impact.

The simplest way to avoid key anxiety is to use combination locks.

One winter evening I pulled up outside a supermarket in the western suburbs of Rotterdam. A group of young lads were hanging around that made me a bit nervous. I avoided the normal bike parking area in favour of a bright streetlight opposite the door. With cold fingers I struggled to lock the bike. (It was my commuter too, so had a big, heavy chain lock).
Removed my handlebar bag and did my shopping, constantly nipping to the door to check the bike.
Eventually got back to the bike, the lads only a few meters away. There, on my rackbag was my gps and my phone - right where I'd left them!😊
I was mortified and felt more than a little guilty.

There are, of course, many sensible steps that can be taken and they vary depending on bike, load and location, covered here and elsewhere. However, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of reasons to not tour.
Once the "perfect" lock is in your possession, the danger is that you can't disembark until you have the perfect tent/gps/pillow......

Nothing wrong with being sensible, but I'd urge against thinking too much.

Or as someone smarter than me put it "Pack for your dreams, not your nightmares".

Good luck!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The keys on those locks travel in the lock.
I had an N'lock a while back, which was a key-in-the-lock to ride lock.
With the key out, the handlebars are not rotationally coupled to the front wheel, so the bike is unrideable. I tried once, by accident, and got all of two feet before falling off.

The problem I found was that as the lock is on the bike, it's not on the keyring with the front door key etc. When you get somewhere, despite good intentions, it can sometimes end up somewhere where you can't find it when it's time to leave.
It might be in a pocket of the jacket you took off and put in the saddlebag on arrival, you might have put it on the bar whilst you got your money out, etc etc.

Top Bottom