Bikepacking when you're a short ass...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
As the title says, I'm short (5'2"), which means my bikes are fairly small framed (45 and 47cm respectively). And I want to go on some bikepacking adventures. Just short trips, here and there, a max of 2-3 nights as my wife won't come with me and it's hardly likely she'll approve a longer trip away. However, small bikes mean there isn't a lot of room in the frame. I have a small topeak midloader frame bag, and access to my water bottles is now limited. It's a bit better on my cx bike as it slightly bigger, and this is the bike I would be using. My other concerns are saddle bags touching the rear wheel, and bar bags being too big. I won't be wild camping, but likely staying in country pubs/b&b/airbnb/hostel type settings as I'm not great in the actual wilderness. Any tips/tricks/etc from any short people who have gone bikepacking?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
5’5” here.

The Ortlieb seatpack requires the least amount of exposed post of all the bags. 18cm I think. Water in the framebag with a bladder? Two small bottles in stem bags? On my MTB I have fitted water bottle cages to the forks with extra straps for security. Bar bag of sorts. Light day sac.

That said, I saw @Cranky Knee Girl ’s set up for the Cairngorms using pannier bags. It looked the business.

The Ridgeway would be an ideal first trip. I have loads of route advice should you need it. Bristol-Bath-Devizes-Ridgeway Southern Section for bikes and back. About 85% off-road. Plenty of accommodation of all types. The Cicerone walking guide is best. DM for ideas.

I'm 1.68m and I ride 26" wheeled bikes. Mostly I use an Xtracycle which puts any luggage well back alongside the rear wheel:

2018_09_19_06.jpg

That said we're currently rebuilding a 26" MTB into a drop handlebar tourer, partly because it is more comfortable than trying to stretch out on a normal sized drop bar bike, and it'll be panniers all the way there.

Can I ask rivers why you are thinking of bikepacking rather than traditional panniers? Your post/choice of accommadation/attitude to wilderness made it sound as if you won't be straying too far from civilisation.

I did briefly consider bikepacking at one point but have veered away from it back to the comforting embrace of panniers.

So once I get round to it, plan to sell an unused lomo seatpack.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
I don't like panniers and the way they feel on my bike. Plus, I fancy a bit of single track and bridleways.

Can I ask rivers why you are thinking of bikepacking rather than traditional panniers? Your post/choice of accommadation/attitude to wilderness made it sound as if you won't be straying too far from civilisation.

I did briefly consider bikepacking at one point but have veered away from it back to the comforting embrace of panniers.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?

Also, I'm not against being out in the wilderness. I don't mind that and quite enjoy the peace and quiet. It's the pitching up and wild camping that's the problem (I do enjoy camping, but at a campsite with facilities, even basic ones). I like long days in the saddle, so even if it's 10 or so miles to the nearest village with accommodation, I'm happy to ride it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Water bottles are often the problem. I am trying these velcro bottle holders from Rose bikes at the moment. They are on a carbon bike. I came off on ice last week and they didnt move.

It means I can remove the holders from inside the frame and just use my Blackburn frame bag. Another good addition
IMG_20190128_134903.jpg
is the Restrap holster on the seatpost.

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_134923.jpg
    IMG_20190128_134923.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
When you say 'bike packing do you mean lots of off-road riding - for which the strap-on joys of frame bags are needed perhaps - if you are negotiating rocky ravines, and trogging through single track with very dense undergrowth yes.

I apparently go bike-packing now (since its been renamed) - although its the same old touring 80% 0n road - 20% rideable off road tracks that i've always done with smallish panniers quite happily. For days on end.

I'm not so short at 5'10" so my frame is sized accordingly.

But my bags would easily fit on a much smaller bike - plus i take a tent sleeping ,mat and bag, stove and food too - in addition to all the usual day rider equipment.

This is what my set up looks like - (that's a salad bag on the top btw) - without the tent etc you could be taking far less - i kinda see the appeal of all the bikepacking stuff - looks sort of sexy in a bondage type of way - but i know i'd get cross with all the fiddly straps and wot not at the end of a long days ride when i was tired and just wanted to get my tent up.

IMG_20161001_113511.jpg

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
When you say 'bike packing do you mean lots of off-road riding - for which the strap-on joys of frame bags are needed perhaps - if you are negotiating rocky ravines, and trogging through single track with very dense undergrowth yes.

I apparently go bike-packing now (since its been renamed) - although its the same old touring 80% 0n road - 20% rideable off road tracks that i've always done with smallish panniers quite happily. For days on end.

I'm not so short at 5'10" so my frame is sized accordingly.

But my bags would easily fit on a much smaller bike - plus i take a tent sleeping ,mat and bag, stove and food too - in addition to all the usual day rider equipment.

This is what my set up looks like - (that's a salad bag on the top btw) - without the tent etc you could be taking far less - i kinda see the appeal of all the bikepacking stuff - looks sort of sexy in a bondage type of way - but i know i'd get cross with all the fiddly straps and wot not at the end of a long days ride when i was tired and just wanted to get my tent up.

View attachment 450417

Mix of on and off road, single track, trails, bridleways, etc. I'm not keen on panniers, just don't like how they affect the handling, so want frame storage essentially. Enough for a few pairs of shorts/jerseys, couple of t-shirts and non cycling shorts, jacket, shoes, tools, tubes, emergency repairs kit, food, usb charger and phone. I could probably get away with just a frame bag, saddle bag, and top tube bag. Although I know my knees rub on a top tube bag as I use one for 100+ mile rides. I've gotten a frame bag for my 200 mile ride but just concerned with space. Attached is a picture of my CX bike with frame bag. It's the larger of my frames

Attachments

• 15491943715355398047301031630904.jpg
    15491943715355398047301031630904.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 40

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Mix of on and off road, single track, trails, bridleways, etc. I'm not keen on panniers, just don't like how they affect the handling, so want frame storage essentially. Enough for a few pairs of shorts/jerseys, couple of t-shirts and non cycling shorts, jacket, shoes, tools, tubes, emergency repairs kit, food, usb charger and phone. I could probably get away with just a frame bag, saddle bag, and top tube bag. Although I know my knees rub on a top tube bag as I use one for 100+ mile rides. I've gotten a frame bag for my 200 mile ride but just concerned with space. Attached is a picture of my CX bike with frame bag. It's the larger of my frames

Sounds totally doable, in a full sized frame bag, plus seat pack, and maybe barbag? .
And pare down what you take to the absolute minimum.. Fewer clothes all round, and do you really need spare set of shoes, if you're only out for a night or two?

How about lightweight, crushable and uber stylish crocs instead, if it's just for pub or B&B??
So long as the fashion police don't catch up with you :-)

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Sounds totally doable, in a full sized frame bag, plus seat pack, and maybe barbag? .
And pare down what you take to the absolute minimum.. Fewer clothes all round, and do you really need spare set of shoes, if you're only out for a night or two?

How about lightweight, crushable and uber stylish crocs instead, if it's just for pub or B&B??
So long as the fashion police don't catch up with you :-)

Just a pair of trainers to get out of my cycling shoes. And as they are either a pair of canvas vans or converse all stars, they won't take up much room. Thanks for the advice. I could just have one tshirt as i won't be cycling in it. I would want clean shorts and jersey though for each day though. I know a few people who have gotten some nasty UTIs due to dirty shorts.

Top Bottom