Bikepacking when you're a short ass...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
As @Heltor Chasca says bikepacking is v difficult on a small frame and if you're in the Cairngorms in potentially v serious weather and/or midges you need a tent.

We did the Cairngorms Outer Loop with traditional panniers (90% off road). I am not even 160cm these days so xs frame and 26.5" so two inner tubes each too as his 29, the second bottle carrier underneath always falls off, top one is a v tight fit. we carried inflatable mat, sleeping bag each but the lightweight cooker, water filter, tent we shared on handlebar rolls. We did plenty of single track although by necessity (not great at mtb and knackered body parts we did walk a fair amount around cols. We also had to carry enough food for a couple of days as resupply was so scarce. We did have to abandon the idea of the inner loop too as you need to sprint that with hardly any baggage.

My ortleibs were great. Steve's old panniers gave us a huge amount of grief, his jumped off and needed rearranging constantly even with bungee. He is not a short ass, 6 ft 4 :rolleyes:

upload_2019-2-3_12-6-47.png

Last edited:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
My set up

upload_2019-2-3_12-20-46.png

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Just a pair of trainers to get out of my cycling shoes. And as they are either a pair of canvas vans or converse all stars, they won't take up much room. Thanks for the advice. I could just have one tshirt as i won't be cycling in it. I would want clean shorts and jersey though for each day though. I know a few people who have gotten some nasty UTIs due to dirty shorts.

Yes definitely very important to keep your undercarriage well maintained - i dont ride commando so to speak- clean underwear everyday - you can wash it through each evening - i find three pairs does me endlessly - so long as i keep on top of the evening washing - if you're b+b'ing laundry wouldn't be an issue anyway - but i take a one litre lightweight plastic washpot on trips - for doing me and my smalls every evening. A cup full of boiled water added to some cold in the pot does the vital bits of me - and then the smalls in no time.

Also, I'm not against being out in the wilderness. I don't mind that and quite enjoy the peace and quiet. It's the pitching up and wild camping that's the problem (I do enjoy camping, but at a campsite with facilities, even basic ones). I like long days in the saddle, so even if it's 10 or so miles to the nearest village with accommodation, I'm happy to ride it.
Freecamping has its delights. I too like to keep well showered, especially when riding, but I think one day without is fine for me. You can always hit a campsite a bit earlier than normal the next day and chill, for the freecamping will have brought about an early start. I once decided not to pedal on to a planned campsite (i wasn't too sure of the exact location and it was starting to get dark) so i camped inna wood, early breakfast with espresso in a roadside field looking at a nice view, turned up at the planned campsite about 8am, which must have puzzled them :smile:

As the title says, I'm short (5'2"), which means my bikes are fairly small framed (45 and 47cm respectively). And I want to go on some bikepacking adventures. Just short trips, here and there, a max of 2-3 nights as my wife won't come with me and it's hardly likely she'll approve a longer trip away. However, small bikes mean there isn't a lot of room in the frame. I have a small topeak midloader frame bag, and access to my water bottles is now limited. It's a bit better on my cx bike as it slightly bigger, and this is the bike I would be using. My other concerns are saddle bags touching the rear wheel, and bar bags being too big. I won't be wild camping, but likely staying in country pubs/b&b/airbnb/hostel type settings as I'm not great in the actual wilderness. Any tips/tricks/etc from any short people who have gone bikepacking?

First off, I've no experience of bikepacking but I am intrigued by the concept. I don't think I'm particularly short either! ^_^

I suppose the first question is to ask what you need to bring with you?
If you're staying in accommodation then all you're bringing with you is some clothing, some water, some snacks and whatever electronics you want?
So, to my way of thinking...
whatever you wear on the bike
something for the evening (bike clothing washed)
Raingear.
Toiletries
While I'm no fan of riding with a bag on my bike, a small backpack would work. A decent sized handlebar bag would hold a lot too- I have an Arkel & think it's great.
I'd still be of the opinion that a rack (front or rear) with a drybag strapped on would be the optimal way to go.

As regards carrying water, there are options such as Wolftooth for 2 bottle cages in place of 1. There are designs that give you 2 bottles behind the seat. Decathlon used to have a rubber strap that you fitted to a tube or fork and then mounted a bottle cage. At least that means you have your water elsewhere and can use the full frame space,

Am impressed. But did you see much at that speed? Rather makes me think of my trips to the scottish highlands and islands by car - which is why I intend to return by bike.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i got a saddle bag of wish - cheap chinese site
it is 10 lt i think and more than enough to put a change of clothes and light pair of shoes in and folds down to smaller size
i also use a very small rucksack just for coat and nickables
this has served me well for 5-6 days riding if you are using b&bs - you just have to wash kit at night - no hardship

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
i might just give a frame bag, top tube bag, and a 6 or 10 litre saddle bag a go and see how i get on. Worst case scenario, I get some smaller water bottles and a hydration pack.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
i might just give a frame bag, top tube bag, and a 6 or 10 litre saddle bag a go and see how i get on. Worst case scenario, I get some smaller water bottles and a hydration pack.

Smaller water bottles means an excuse for more cafe stops on the road - in the proper wild hills you can drink the stream water anyhow :smile:

shirokazan

Veteran
It's not particularly intrepid. There was plenty of time for photos, lunch, and decent dinners.

I'm impressed by that. Not sure I'd feel comfortable having an evening meal in a restaurant still dressed in my sweaty lycra though. Was that not an issue for you?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm impressed by that. Not sure I'd feel comfortable having an evening meal in a restaurant still dressed in my sweaty lycra though. Was that not an issue for you?
I carried the thinnest pair of walking trousers, T-shirt, and thin canvas slippers. Arrive at hotel, shower and wash cycling gear, change into evening wear and off out on the town. Stagger back, sleep, breakfast, and off again.

Top Bottom