Bikes and Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jmetz

HOw well do they get on?

I intend to get the train to work on my two days of work and then cycle home in the eve...

I also plan to cycle to a station on the remaining days to get to uni, and repeat each evening.

However, i wanted peoples views/opinions/experiences with trains at busy times and bikes....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Best of specifying which networks/lines really (not being funny).

Number14

Guru
Southwest trains on the Portsmouth to Waterloo are a pain in the ass at peak times. Space for three bikes on a 4 carriage train and nearly always more than 5 bikes in there.

BRING BACK THE GUARD'S VAN or take the seats out of the empty first class carriage!

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

im not that bothered if i have to hold my bike rather than leave it in the provided cycle areas, im just concerned with someone tart telling me i cant go omn the train with it.

mark i

In the midlands the train network is not normally that busy. There is usually somewhere to put your bike. If you are OK with the conductors, they are usually better with you, but I get the local commuter train at 6:48 into Coventry and it is not too busy. The other option is to get a compact folder and you can take those on all trains. The express trains tend to be more of a pain. I have been told off by an unreasonable "train manager" on a cross country for my bike being in the vestibule, rather than the bike spaces. I removed the suit cases from the cycle spaces and put my bike in the cycle space. He did not look amused when I suggested that he contacted the owners of the suitcases......

Jezston

Über Member
The 3rd of a carriage we are allowed to put our bikes in (odd empty-ish space with a few scatters seats and one of those horrenous rotating door toilets) is supposed to be reserved for wheelchair users, prams and bicycles, but there's always a couple or more people sitting in the area who don't need to, often causing issues.

Had some woman this morning complaining after I moved my bicycle against the wall next to her that it might roll back in to her, after I had to three times ask her to move her foot so I could put the bike in that area at all. I curtly replied if she was worried about it perhaps she could sit somewhere else, which she got arsey about. Not wanting further confrontation I apolgised and sat elsewhere. In hindsight I feel I should have spoken my mind freely about how I feel about people without bikes, wheelchairs or prams sitting in that area, but then she probably would have complained to the guard she was apparently friendly with who may have decided to enforce their rule about a maximum of two bikes on the train.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Jezston said:
The 3rd of a carriage we are allowed to put our bikes in (odd empty-ish space with a few scatters seats and one of those horrenous rotating door toilets) is supposed to be reserved for wheelchair users, prams and bicycles, but there's always a couple or more people sitting in the area who don't need to, often causing issues.

Had some woman this morning complaining after I moved my bicycle against the wall next to her that it might roll back in to her, after I had to three times ask her to move her foot so I could put the bike in that area at all. I curtly replied if she was worried about it perhaps she could sit somewhere else, which she got arsey about. Not wanting further confrontation I apolgised and sat elsewhere. In hindsight I feel I should have spoken my mind freely about how I feel about people without bikes, wheelchairs or prams sitting in that area, but then she probably would have complained to the guard she was apparently friendly with who may have decided to enforce their rule about a maximum of two bikes on the train.

May her children be cyclists. :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jezston, an old toestrap or a velcro loop (like you get with bike pumps) around the brake lever will stop the bike rolling about on the train. I use it quite a bit on the train on my route, stops the bike scraping others in the bike space.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
Jezston, an old toestrap or a velcro loop (like you get with bike pumps) around the brake lever will stop the bike rolling about on the train. I use it quite a bit on the train on my route, stops the bike scraping others in the bike space.

superb idea!

genius

Jezston

Über Member
Indeed! I used to use a rubber band for this very purpose but then I lorst it.

However I found it more effect to use THA BACK OV MA 'AAAAND!

Top Bottom