Bikes for distance riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
So by way of an update, I had a test ride on a Whyte Glencoe which was interesting. I actually quite liked the wide drops, although the waggly gear changing thing took me a while to figure out.

Am going to go for a ride on a Giant Fastroad as per @DCLane's recommendation later in the week (hopefully). My local shop recommended a Trek Domane but the one they were recommending was a lot over my budget.

Quick question... I seem to remember that back in the olden days of my youth in the early 80s my Raleigh Racer had brake levers which you could operate from the top bar as well as the drops. Is that still a thing, or has racing on the hoods replaced those?

If I were now considering drops, does that change anyone's recommendations?

si_c

Guru
Can highly recommend the Trek Domane - I've got a 2018 alloy rim braked model with the old style decoupler on the rear only and it's a very smooth ride.

Edit to add: It's a very upright position for me, I'd ordinarily choose something quite a bit lower at the front even for longer distance rides, but despite that it feels quick to ride and it's lots of fun to chuck around, I'd definitely recommend a ride on one, even if it is one of the lower spec models.

Last edited:
@icowden - the levers are termed top mount levers and used in Cyclocross - https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/top-mount-brake-levers/p/130711 - but work much better than the 1980's which ended up being called 'suicide levers'.
Most folk I know who use them, call the modern ones found on CX bikes and the like ‘frog leg levers’ you’re right about the ‘suicide lever’ moniker as well:ohmy::laugh:. I had many an ‘over bar unplanned dismount’ owing to those, back in the good old bad old days.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
An update...

So, the long and the short of it is that I visited my local bike shop (East Street Cycles) and thanks to Johannes and 0% finance have ended up blowing my budget completely and getting a Trek Domane SL5, all properly bike fitted.

It was an interesting experience looking for a bike. I found Giant at St Pauls to be a bit indifferent. On Your Bike were nice, but again didn't really engage me with any particular bike, whereas the care and expertise from East Street was impressive (or Johannes is just a very good salesman, but I'm inclined to think the former!). The other issue I had is that most places did not have the right size frame for me, and testing on a bike which is an incorrect size IMHO doesn't work. East Street took the trouble to send me out on a frame size too big (54) and a frame size too small (50) before ordering in the right frame size (52), and that was a very very useful experience.

I've only had a short ride so far, but it's very fast and seems very comfy. I've not gone cleated yet (The BiL has done that and I am enjoying the number of times he has failed to unclip and fallen over). I did get some reversible pedals so that I can try cleats if I want.

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations, now to start practicing for the RIdgeway Rouleur...

si_c

Guru
An update...

So, the long and the short of it is that I visited my local bike shop (East Street Cycles) and thanks to Johannes and 0% finance have ended up blowing my budget completely and getting a Trek Domane SL5, all properly bike fitted.

It was an interesting experience looking for a bike. I found Giant at St Pauls to be a bit indifferent. On Your Bike were nice, but again didn't really engage me with any particular bike, whereas the care and expertise from East Street was impressive (or Johannes is just a very good salesman, but I'm inclined to think the former!). The other issue I had is that most places did not have the right size frame for me, and testing on a bike which is an incorrect size IMHO doesn't work. East Street took the trouble to send me out on a frame size too big (54) and a frame size too small (50) before ordering in the right frame size (52), and that was a very very useful experience.

I've only had a short ride so far, but it's very fast and seems very comfy. I've not gone cleated yet (The BiL has done that and I am enjoying the number of times he has failed to unclip and fallen over). I did get some reversible pedals so that I can try cleats if I want.

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations, now to start practicing for the RIdgeway Rouleur...
Come on that's a poor response. We want to know what colour you got. Plus pictures would be nice :laugh::okay:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Oh OK then....!
IMG_20200220_151113.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As regards your remarks about bike salesmen.

The manager of my local bike shop learned his trade at Halfords.

He is as critical of them as the next man, but says he still uses sales techniques he learned there on various courses.

Halfords, for all their faults, dominate the UK market, so there may be something in the 'Halfords way' of selling bikes.

Top Bottom