Bikes going onto ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
MacB said:
People are used to eating large quantities and have a tendency to feed an exercise regime. Look at what a child eats and how much activity that can fuel, including growth.

If there aren't underlying medical issues then I'd take it to the bare bones until you flag on the bike, then build the food up until you don't. I guarantee you will be amazed at how little you can sustain exercise, and weight loss, on. but don't be stupid about it, cover the food groups and understand your nutrition. 20-30 miles on a bike, at a fair pace, is perfectly feasible without taking on board additional resources pre-ride.

Agree with you there MacB I used to take the gels and bars with me on short rides but I easily do 20-40 mile rides on a morining with nothing more than my breakfast inside me.

Obviously I do take more food and maybe a gel with me if I am going to be doing longer rides but that is exactly what used to do over estimate what I need to eat for a given distance and therefore my weight never went down.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
phil_hg_uk said:
The first time I tried to lose weight I put it all back on again because I kept wanting to eat pizza and snacks all the time but this time I dont get the cravings because I have changed the way I live my life and I try to give myself time to get out on my bike and keep fit everyday and it seems to stop me wanting to eat rubbish food.

I know what you mean, I had a week off a couple of weeks ago and I ate bad (not bad as in how I used to eat, but bad for nowadays) and after 2 days I'd had enough so I went back to eating normally as I do when I am recording and lost 2.5lb! You have to want to change your whole life though, which I have, there's no going back!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I hate myself right now as I've gone back up to over 16 stone, gained back 20 of the lbs I'd lost. But I don't kid myself as to why, I've slipped back in my eating habits and injury has kept me off the bike. Having to carefully build the mileage back up. Also switched back to the butterfly bars, not coz I love them but because their flex seems to give my elbow the least trouble.

For some reason I've always eaten more the less active I've been. A lot of exercise actually dimishes my appetite, don't know why, but it's been like that all my life.

potsy

Rambler
MacB said:
I hate myself right now as I've gone back up to over 16 stone, gained back 20 of the lbs I'd lost. But I don't kid myself as to why, I've slipped back in my eating habits and injury has kept me off the bike. Having to carefully build the mileage back up. Also switched back to the butterfly bars, not coz I love them but because their flex seems to give my elbow the least trouble.

For some reason I've always eaten more the less active I've been. A lot of exercise actually dimishes my appetite, don't know why, but it's been like that all my life.
Thing is Mac you've lost it once so you can do it again,just need to get into the right frame of mind sometimes,I've been a yo-yo dieter since my late teens,steadily crept up to 16 stone last year and have now got back to 14 which has always been my 'comfort' weight.
Have been steadily eating more for last few weeks worryingly but luckily the commuting has stayed 4-5 days a week so have only put a lb or 2 on.
What was the injury? missed it if you've talked about it on here.

MacB said:

Exercise is a definite suppressant for hunger. It also serves to discipline the mind. I was just checking a running site before and it had a chart of time gains for weight loss. 3Kg loss makes me 45 seconds faster over two miles, all things remaining equal. That's the kind of incentive I like to see.

And is a 1 and 1/8 to 1" spacer any good for you?

MacB

Injury isn't new I had elbow surgery late last year and they removed the end of the radius bone, so it no longer reaches the elbow. Apparently this is called a 'floating bone', but it looks like instability means it will need further surgery. The injury was sodding around with bars, positions and not resting properly when elbow flared up. Then it got a huge jolt from a pothole just when I thought all was well. Building back up now and elbow seems ok, but the return to the wide flexy bars certainly seems to have helped. Maybe I'm never destined to be built for speed:biggrin:

Crackle, the steerer tubes I have are all 1 and 1/8th the handle bars all 1" at clamp point. I can't use a stem that has a 1" steerer clamp...thanks....Al

jimboalee

At the gym, I see blokes and women in there who are there to lose weight. It's obvious, they are overweight.

There are a couple of women who have been attending the gym for at least five years and do not look any different to when I joined those five years ago.

They spend 20 minutes WALKING on the treadmill, 20 minutes riding the upright bike at low load and 20 minutes on the X trainer at low load. :tongue:

Their problem is… they gulp down 500 ml of energy drink during the hour.
Who told them to do this? The girl on the reception desk who sells the syrupy jollop. She also does the recruitment ( and membership continuation ) duties. :smile:

My advice to the OP is to listen to the people on this chatboard and NOT commercial 'weight loss' and 'nutrition' people who's sole interest is relieving you of your money. This includes Powerade, Lucozade et al.

McB is totally correct. Up to 60 minutes does not require extra feeding. Then it’s a gradually increasing scaler until 5 hours are to be ridden.

Another word of advice is about 'Consumer electronics calorie counters'. They are desperately inaccurate, erring OVER rather than under. They tell you to eat too much.

MacB

Today I had a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, am currently consuming a bowl of home made broth for luch. I'll be doing 20ish miles around 14.5mph average this afternoon and intend to eat a normal, one course, meal tonight. At that level of intake I lose weight without the cycling, include the cycling and the weight loss goes up noticeably. I certainly don't need to add to my intake to cope with the cycling.

That's the plan, I just have to avoid the late evening munchies and I'm good to go:biggrin:

Alan Whicker

When I returned to cycling in the early summer I was a tub of lard and about to turn 40. Since I started riding about 10 miles a day the weight has just dropped off. I reckon I've lost at least two stone - and I'm pretty sure it's in large part because I cut bread out of my diet. Mind, i've put a bit of weight on recently 'cos I keep getting invited out for a "little Christmas drinky".

Bill Gates

chillyuk said:
At 18 stone I restarted cycling after a ten year layoff. I was desperate to lose some of the weight I put on since retiring from work. A thousand miles (since fitting cycle computer) later I am still 18 stone. I haven't lost a flipping ounce. I don't overeat, and though not obsessive about food do eat reasonably healthily.

I can't see the point of killing myself for no benefit, so bollocks to cycling.

I can't see the point of posting this on a cycling forum and then not bothering to answer any of the replies.

lukesdad

Bill Gates said:
I can't see the point of posting this on a cycling forum and then not bothering to answer any of the replies.

I think he s gone Bill wouldn t waste your breath.

Top Bottom